Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

This thread excludes PRO ball.

The theme of my thread deals with

"What kind of umpire are you and why"

In addition to the "by the book" vs. "Common sense and Fair Play", Umpires fall into the below categories.

1. Prestige, meaning striving for the BIG Game. Example: I have a friend who recently joined the ECAC (Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference) umpires association. He wants one day to go to the college World Series and he is willing to Travel "All over God's creation" if he has to.

2. An umpire with a Family and can't travel much but wants to do a good job, willing to learn and at least do a BIG HS game or equivalent.

Then there is good ole Number 3.

3. The Smitty's of the world who could care less. Give me my paycheck and I will see you tomorrow.

It's ironic in that for the most part the "Smitties" of the world make the most money and have less stress.

Why!

They are available everyday and will not travel too far. In addition, they do not have much stress because they do not care how they are rated or perceived.

I had a chance to talk to one of the Smitties who was honest and open about his umpiring.

This particular umpire told me that when he first started he was Gung ho, wanted to advance etc. then reality hit him, meaning:

1. Why is it that when a Coach or player gets EJ'd in a BIG game it is the umpires fault, meaning we are supposed to let a player , coach, vent and do our best to keep them in the game.

2. If the game does end on a call that's questionable it's our fault, meaning the 9 million errors, not advancing runners, 9 million runners left on base didn't matter.

Here in NY there is a talk show called "Mike and the Mad Dog" and yesterday's guest was Jeff Van Gundy the coach of the Rockets. They were talking about Game 7's of the NBA finals and the last team to lose a game 7 was the NY Knicks vs. the Houston Rockets in 1994.

Game 7 was played in Houtson. Jeff mentioned that in November of that year Houston beat NY at Madison Square Guarden. Both teams ended the season at 55 wins, but since the Rockets beat the Knicks in that regular season game, the Rockets got home court.

Ok what does this mean. It means that a baseball game is 7 innings long and what happens in the first inning can have a direct outcome on the game, yet an umpire's call in the last inning is the crucial one.

This particular umpire realized that baseball is a GAME and that what matter's most to him was his family etc. In addition, you and your partner could have a "great" game, but the partcipants do not see it that way, etc. The umpiring FEES helped him/her financially and he did not get ajeda over a baseball game.

I do not know about you, but for the last 3/4 years around this time, I have often wondered myself.

"Pete why do you still do this"

My answer to date is because I have fun meaning I enjoy the friendships of my fellow umpires and I make a decent buck over the summer.

In Summary.

1. Where do you stand in your career?
2. Do you get the feeling that "hey this is enough and it's time for something else"
3. Financial reasons, meaning you might be out of work at this time and

Have you ever thought of becoming a "Smitty" and simply did not care.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

I'd classify myself as a "I have a family and can't travel much, but I like to do a good job". I don't need the money (even though it is nice to have around) but I can live without it.

I get along great with the guys in my association, I make a decent amount of extra money, and I get to watch a baseball game from the best seat in the house.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

I'm a "I have a family and don't WANT to travel much", but at the same time I want to give the kids a good game where they don't have to worry about strikes being called over their heads or things like that.

I've cut back this year because it stopped being fun for me last year. This season I've only called games when I had a specific need for the extra money, that way I wasn't working my regular job all the time, getting 30 minutes at home and working at the park until 10pm. That was starting to wear on me.

As for coaches that feel "If the game does end on a call that's questionable it's our fault", it's always easier to blame someone else for problems that are your own. A far bigger man will say, "That was my fault" and accept responsibility.

So I do care and I do need the money, but I don't believe in giving a half-a$$ed effort just to get paid. At the same time I don't have any ambition to move up to HS ball or anything above that. I'm happy calling the rec league stuff.

[Edited by orioles35 on Jun 24th, 2005 at 11:27 AM]
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

I bring a somewhat unique perspective here. I'm 19 years old (nearly 20) and in college currently. I began umpiring out of a need for local rec league umpires when I was 15. I did that for a couple of years and enjoyed it so when I turned 17, I got my IHSA officials license. Since then, I haven't gotten an opportunity to do much because of school and lack of transportation to and from games while I'm down at school. So mainly my experiences have come from doing local rec ball here in my home town, with just a couple jr. high and HS games thrown in.

I readily admit that I do not even come close to being a very good amateur umpire. An "okay" or a "decent" one yes, but by no means am I good yet. Each year I constantly strive to learn the finer details of the rules and mechanics needed to become a good umpire.

I have never thought of giving up umpiring. I hope to find a job when I get out of college that will allow me slightly flexible hours so I can work some HS games during the week (meaning I'd have to leave an hour or so early) and then put in my time by staying later sometimes or coming in earlier.

I umpire for 2 reasons. First and foremost, I love the game of baseball. Although I did not play my freshman through jr. year of high school, When I came back to it my Sr. year, I remembered how fun the game was. I am not good enough to continue playing at any level above high school, so I choose to continue umpiring to stay close to the game. Second reason is for the money. Like aevans said, I don't have to have the money but it's nice. Especially as a college student. Where else can you find a part time job that pays you 12.50 an hour in central illinois (and that's a 2 hour game and a $25 game fee which is pretty cheap, normally they run 35-40 for a varsity contest)? I still haven't found any others.

In conclusion, I am sitting on choice #2. Not so much is it a family that holds me back, but school and lack of transportation while I'm there that do. As it stands now, I would like to work my way up and and do college (whether it be Juco, DIII, II, or I) ball eventually, but my situation now does not allow for that.

-Josh

(wow that was a long post, sorry)
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

I think its good to step back and re-evaluate why we do this from time to time. I would hope those that were starting to find that it wasn't fun and they were only out for a paycheck would realize their time would be better spent elsewhere...either that or have their assignor figure that out for them.

I take satisfaction in walking off the field after a game, knowing I did a good job, hoping I helped guide the game to it's natural conclusion. I'd just as soon not be noticed, just do my job and move on.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drumbum565
I do it for the love of the game. In fact I have turned down so many other better paying jobs for this I cant count. I do it cause I love baseball and I love to call the game. When I’m at home watching a baseball game I’m not just watching it I have my clicker and I place myself in the game and I call that game the way I would call it. Yes its a decent paycheck and its a way to get through college but even after college I’m going to still do it when I’m 40 or 50 years old cause its fun and I love to call the game, heck when I’m 90 on my death bed I will still have a clicker watching a baseball game on TV calling the game the way I would call it.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

I also am mostly umpire #2. My preference is to umpire varsity HS games, and Legion in the summer. Travel is the main reason I have not taken the college test.

The "smitty" mentality has crept into my mind to a certain level. In the past few years I have opted for lower level games (SRLL, SR Babe Ruth, etc) closer to home, rather than travel for the "elite" games, which may or may not pay more. However, this has not impacted the way I umpire a game. I have too much respect and love of the game (and self-respect) to slack. I strive to be as excellent as I can be each time I walk onto a ballfield. If I know I have done my best to call a good game and I am satisfied with my effort, it matters not what the players, coaches, and/or fans thought of my work.

One of my favorite things these days is working with brand new umpires who want to learn proper mechanics and ask that I point things out to them that need to improve. It is difficult breaking some bad habits which they have picked up from the "smittys" who don't care about such things.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Macaroo

One of my favorite things these days is working with brand new umpires who want to learn proper mechanics and ask that I point things out to them that need to improve. It is difficult breaking some bad habits which they have picked up from the "smittys" who don't care about such things.
I totally agree with this point. I also love working with vets who are willing to help me learn a thing or two. I'd rather have a good vet umpire come up to me and say "Allen, you called a good game today, but if you do this, you can get in better position to get that call at 2nd, or tell me "your raising up slightly as the ball gets to the plate, try to keep down". It dissapoints me when ol smitty comes up to tell me I did good, lets go home.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Very Interesting . . .

Pete:

Over the last 36 season I have traversed many levels of umpiring.

Your question drills into me each spring. "Why am I doing this again?"

So we need to take a short tour to understand how I come to this question:

1- I am still a pretty good high school playoff level umpire.

2- I am very involved in the training of umpires. I teach FED rules to our mandatory advanced umpire class (includes all 3 and 4 year umpires and many vets (smitties)) that are required to attend. I have also just been named to the State Mechanics Training Committee and will be establishing trainng programs for all FED umpires in my state.

3- Contrary to some I umpire for power and money. I have made that clear several times over the past eight season I have been cyber-umpiring.

4- I have already worked D1 baseball (for 25 years) and retired first from that type ball.

5- I don't find umpiring "fun" and I don't do it "for the kids".

I have found that I start thinking each spring, "gees, this just isn't worth it any more!"

This thought is inflamed by two specific items:

a) Living in the Nothwest we have many, many, many (did I say many) rainouts. This means that I plan all day to umpire, force my work schedule so I can leave early then have the game snatched from me by mother nature.

b) It is a true bear to get through traffic to get to games that start at 4:30 pm. My area is listed as the 7th worst trafffic situation in America during PM Drive Time. It puts additional pressure on me as I head to an already hightened pressure situation.

I used to make it through the school season and THEN DREADED summer ball (where play is vastly infoerior and there is NO discipline).

Now like some I am motivated by getting the "Big Game." I want the toughtest, meanest, most meaniful game each time I work. The money is secondary (but I do have a newly decorated deck off my flat with this years earnings).

Now in answer to the question:

I retired 3 of the past four years (even selling the lion's portion of my gear this year) only to be drawn back in.

Why do I retire?

Becasue I am afraid of being a "Smitty" and just not noticing it.

I am a member of a private e-mail group of umpires. As I have explained to them in two threads I have selected to call two rules "my own way" rather than as they are intended.

I was called stubborn by one but the real comment came from Dave Hensley (who often posts on this site) who said,

"Tee has selected to become a Smitty -- there is no other explaination of his disregard for rules" (That is a parphrase of his point).

So maybe, just maybe I am already a Smitty and just not noticing.

Oh yeah, I have the two biggest games (most prestigious) in my area tomorrow.

Maybe I'll take my ball bags and plate brush onto the field and dust some bases and pitcher's plates.

Just call me Smitty!
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure I fit in one of your boxes, Pete.

I have a family, and don't like to travel, but will. I'll spend a weekend away from the family at a clinic learning to get better or helping others get better before I'll spend a weekend away to call ballgames --- but I WILL do the latter on occasion.

I enjoy the big games (H.S. Playoffs) just as much as the little ones (2 8U 0-5 teams going at it). I've learned over time that I'm good at this, and that I'm good at imparting my knowledge to others.

My motivation? Not the paycheck (I upgrade my equipment, pay for my kids to play whatever their activity is during that particular season, and then give much of the rest back to my local league). Not prestige. My motivation to continue doing this is the kids (all levels). I want to give the kids a fair game. I want the kids to enjoy themselves and learn, and improve. I want to help the umpires that work for me do the same.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

It's Friday! :D

I do not fall into any of the categories but I guess the category that most matches my style is "Smitty." I used to be in it for the big games but when I switched to being a Smitty, I became a lot better umpire.

When I go to a game, I size it up, and give just enough effort to be credible at that level. Classic Smitty. I do not worry too much about rules at any level below NCAA. I call what is expected and will produce the least amount of fuss. I ignored the gorilla arm this year and only call new rules in FED when I see a significant plurality take up the cause. No sense starting a s$$$house when I get half of what I make for an NCAA game at lower level games. As far as I am concerned, if your going to pay me half as much, you are going to get half the effort. Half of my effort is better than 100% effort of most guys anyway.

Peter
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Re: It's Friday! :D

Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
I do not fall into any of the categories but I guess the category that most matches my style is "Smitty." I used to be in it for the big games but when I switched to being a Smitty, I became a lot better umpire.

When I go to a game, I size it up, and give just enough effort to be credible at that level. Classic Smitty. I do not worry too much about rules at any level below NCAA. I call what is expected and will produce the least amount of fuss. I ignored the gorilla arm this year and only call new rules in FED when I see a significant plurality take up the cause. No sense starting a s$$$house when I get half of what I make for an NCAA game at lower level games. As far as I am concerned, if your going to pay me half as much, you are going to get half the effort. Half of my effort is better than 100% effort of most guys anyway.

Peter
Must be a full moon, I find myself in the same boat as Peter.

Having called D1 ball, and having just about achieved all of the goals I set for myself in umpiring, (I still have to do a 17-18 World Series which I will get opportunity to do this summer), its much easier to just "get by".

Call what is necessary and what is expected, get paid and go home. As Peter mentioned, I can get by and it's going to surpass what most umpires are doing anyway.

So put me in Peter's camp?

Thanks
David
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
I have only been umpiring baseball for 3 years now. I am still at the point where I enjoy it a lot. So much to learn still. I do my best to call everything I know and see. At 18$ a game money is sure not a motivation as most of it goes into equipment. I do kids leagues from 10 to 16. Next year I hopefully will move up a level and start some of the higher caliber 17+ divisions. We have no high school ball or college ball here so I suppose the pinnacle will be to do an adult national tournament if I ever get good enough. Coaching a team and having a family with a seriously ill child I only do 1 night a week at the most. Ball here goes from late May to early August.

One of the young umps asked this week how it was being both a coach (14-15) and an umpire. I had to admit I found it frustrating to watch so much obstruction and interference go uncalled as well as watching a lot of the adult blues butcher the rules. I'm not perfect but I try hard to learn and learn and learn.

On the other hand I have umpired AA rec softball for 10 years now and to be honest I have gotten to hate it. The quality of play is terrible for the most part, etc etc etc. The only thing I call now in softball is the league playoff semi-finals and finals and maybe the odd early morning tournament game. I honestly believe at the rec level the players would be happier if we called only ball/strike, fair/foul, safe/out and maybe a few common myths. I called the correct rule as opposed to the myth a few years ago and of two teams and 150 onwatchers only two people believed I was right - me and the BU. They bit***** about that for over a year until a few of them finally attended a clinic and asked the regions umpire trainer.
Old Sat Jun 25, 2005, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jxt127

One of the young umps asked this week how it was being both a coach (14-15) and an umpire.
That's easy. They don't exist. You're one of the other pretending to be one or the other.

A friend of mine, who is gay, once told me, in jest, "Bisexuals are usually gays trying to look respectable half the time."

I think that would translate well to this situation. Coach/umpires are usually coaches tyring to look respectable half the time.
Old Sat Jun 25, 2005, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

I feel I fall into category #2. We do not have any kind of association though would like to have one to help with training. I have done some HS playoffs, USSSA state and regional games as well as BR District games. I feel I put forth an honest effort in studying about 20 hours a week on rules and these boards. I also do HS football and if you are not gonna go out and give %100, why go out at all. The kids deserve each official to allow the game to be played by the rules.
We all have seen the Smittys and I personally don't care to work with them but there is really nothing in my power to change it. If you can ask yourself when you walk off the field, court, diamond if you gave it an honest effort, that is all you can do.
The area I live in is extremely difficult to get any assistance with mechanics, instructions, rules etc so it is very discouraging for new umpires/officials to get started and therefore become the Smittys of the world if they even keep getting involved at all. Most get frustrated with the way the coaches and players treat them the end up quitting.