View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

I bring a somewhat unique perspective here. I'm 19 years old (nearly 20) and in college currently. I began umpiring out of a need for local rec league umpires when I was 15. I did that for a couple of years and enjoyed it so when I turned 17, I got my IHSA officials license. Since then, I haven't gotten an opportunity to do much because of school and lack of transportation to and from games while I'm down at school. So mainly my experiences have come from doing local rec ball here in my home town, with just a couple jr. high and HS games thrown in.

I readily admit that I do not even come close to being a very good amateur umpire. An "okay" or a "decent" one yes, but by no means am I good yet. Each year I constantly strive to learn the finer details of the rules and mechanics needed to become a good umpire.

I have never thought of giving up umpiring. I hope to find a job when I get out of college that will allow me slightly flexible hours so I can work some HS games during the week (meaning I'd have to leave an hour or so early) and then put in my time by staying later sometimes or coming in earlier.

I umpire for 2 reasons. First and foremost, I love the game of baseball. Although I did not play my freshman through jr. year of high school, When I came back to it my Sr. year, I remembered how fun the game was. I am not good enough to continue playing at any level above high school, so I choose to continue umpiring to stay close to the game. Second reason is for the money. Like aevans said, I don't have to have the money but it's nice. Especially as a college student. Where else can you find a part time job that pays you 12.50 an hour in central illinois (and that's a 2 hour game and a $25 game fee which is pretty cheap, normally they run 35-40 for a varsity contest)? I still haven't found any others.

In conclusion, I am sitting on choice #2. Not so much is it a family that holds me back, but school and lack of transportation while I'm there that do. As it stands now, I would like to work my way up and and do college (whether it be Juco, DIII, II, or I) ball eventually, but my situation now does not allow for that.

-Josh

(wow that was a long post, sorry)