View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Re: It's Friday! :D

Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
I do not fall into any of the categories but I guess the category that most matches my style is "Smitty." I used to be in it for the big games but when I switched to being a Smitty, I became a lot better umpire.

When I go to a game, I size it up, and give just enough effort to be credible at that level. Classic Smitty. I do not worry too much about rules at any level below NCAA. I call what is expected and will produce the least amount of fuss. I ignored the gorilla arm this year and only call new rules in FED when I see a significant plurality take up the cause. No sense starting a s$$$house when I get half of what I make for an NCAA game at lower level games. As far as I am concerned, if your going to pay me half as much, you are going to get half the effort. Half of my effort is better than 100% effort of most guys anyway.

Peter
Must be a full moon, I find myself in the same boat as Peter.

Having called D1 ball, and having just about achieved all of the goals I set for myself in umpiring, (I still have to do a 17-18 World Series which I will get opportunity to do this summer), its much easier to just "get by".

Call what is necessary and what is expected, get paid and go home. As Peter mentioned, I can get by and it's going to surpass what most umpires are doing anyway.

So put me in Peter's camp?

Thanks
David