View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 25, 2005, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

I feel I fall into category #2. We do not have any kind of association though would like to have one to help with training. I have done some HS playoffs, USSSA state and regional games as well as BR District games. I feel I put forth an honest effort in studying about 20 hours a week on rules and these boards. I also do HS football and if you are not gonna go out and give %100, why go out at all. The kids deserve each official to allow the game to be played by the rules.
We all have seen the Smittys and I personally don't care to work with them but there is really nothing in my power to change it. If you can ask yourself when you walk off the field, court, diamond if you gave it an honest effort, that is all you can do.
The area I live in is extremely difficult to get any assistance with mechanics, instructions, rules etc so it is very discouraging for new umpires/officials to get started and therefore become the Smittys of the world if they even keep getting involved at all. Most get frustrated with the way the coaches and players treat them the end up quitting.