Thread: Sick of it All!
View Single Post
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by SSLL Pres
How many of you league officials have had a similar experience? Is this the case everywhere? Is it my leadership that sucks? Any opinions are more than welcome.

You are NOT alone which is the MAIN reason many of us Do not Umpire LL games or "kiddy ball" as it is referred to.

It's not because of the kids but the PARENTS and also other members of the BOD who simply want the prestige but are not willing to "lay down the law"

I don't know if I'll be around but someday one will be driving on a nice day near a baseball coplex. Plenty of Teams but guess what! No-one playing because there are NO Umpires.

The demize of Youth Sports can be summed up in one word - PARENTS.

My advice is this:

Finish out the year and hand in your resignation. It's time to concentrate on your Family and start having fun.

If you are having trouble getting umpires, then what little money you have left contract with a Willing assignor just to finish the season. In addition, do not accept any LL All Star Games at your complex. If you are having trouble getting umpires/help during the regular season what do you think is going to happen in July.

IMO, once you make up your mind that being Pres of this league isn't worth it you will start to feel better.

Also, once you join better run leagues such as Legion you will see a VAST improovement. You can get back to coaching and even be able to play some golf if you like. No "ajeda" anymore.

From an Umpires standpoint, it's a pleasure just to umpire the games and go home. No hanging around dealing with all the rhetoric that comes from a day at the LL park.

In Summary, it's time to get out - Life's too short and do something that you enjoy. Finish out the season the best way you can but do not loose sleep over it.

Pete Booth