The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 08, 2001, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Question What's the box got to do with it?

It seems we are mixing two totally separate rules each of which has its own penalty.

7.09(i) says it is interference for the coach to "physically assist the runner." The coach does not have to be out of his box to violate this rule. Would you (now that you know the Evan's interpretation.) call out R1 for interference even if he "road blocked" R1 while in the coach's box? I would. The penalty for violating this rule is R1 is out.

Rule 4.05, on the other hand, has its own penalty. "An offending base coach shall be removed from the base coach's box." (Which I will note is ironic since he was not there to begin with, but I digress). The appropriate latitude we should give coaches has been noted. I agree.

I am not certain, however, his position out of the box does much in terms of helping us decide whether he interfered. If he has gone too far (pun intended), sit him down. If he “physically assists,” call the runner out. If he does both, we should do both. What the heck; if you call the runner out, you are going to have to eject him anyway.

Mark
Old Thu Mar 08, 2001, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Mark,

I agree with you on one thing. The box has nothing to do with why this is coach's interference.

In fact, in Jim Evans' play, he doesn't even mention whether his coach is in the box or out. The coach could conceivably be in the box, and still interfere in this manner.