View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 04, 2001, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress

* OBR 7.09(i) In the judgement of the umpire, the base coach at third base, or first base, by touching or holding the runner, physically assists him in returning to or leaving third base or first base.

Here's what you're confusing: A runner rounds third and crashes into his coach in the coaching box. That's nothing but an accident. Coach's interference with a runner must be intentional.

But:
A coach stations himself in such a way as to prevent the runner from heading for an out at the plate: That is clearly intentional and obviously interference. [/B]
The problem I have in “seeing” this play is that 90% of the fields I umpire on do not have the coach’s box physically drawn. I’m sometimes happy with foul lines especially when they extend into the outfield. A batter’s box is just a way to get chalk on my freshly polished plate shoes. Even without “seeing” a box I can envision a savvy coach knowing he can’t physically assist his runner deciding to casually set up a roadblock. Perhaps this play is more common than a ball hitting a bird in flight although we do have an awful lot of Canadian geese that never migrate anymore. No wonder so few outfielders are willing to dive for balls anymore.