View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 03, 2001, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Re: Sorry Jim, but.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Rog
.....I've got to humble disagree with you on this one. I have R1 safe at 3rd.
Why, because according to:
"J/R - Part III #13 Offensive Interference, Section IV:
[It is interference if a coach]
(3) physically assists a runner's advance or return to a base.
Penalty: such runner is out but the ball remains live. 7.09i

* OBR 7.09(i) In the judgement of the umpire, the base coach at third base, or first base, by touching or holding the runner, physically assists him in returning to or leaving third base or first base.

Both sections seem clear in the aspect of:
physically assists a runner's advance, returning or leaving.

This coach it seems just stupidly stood on the tracks
waving his lantern at a fast moving train.....
Rog:

Try this one:

Play:R3 retouches on a fly to right. At the moment the fly is touched in the outfield, the coach taps his runner on the helmet and says: "Go!" Ruling:The umpire will call out R3.

This rule has gone through two cycles, only to wind up where it was 100 years ago!

In the early days when the coach assisted the runner by getting in his way or touching him or patting him, it was considered interference. Then the interpretation changed, such that he actually had to "help" a runner leave or return to the base: Physical assistance, in other words. But we've come back to the original interpretation. That is, any physical contact by the coach that helps the runner is interference.

Here's what you're confusing: A runner rounds third and crashes into his coach in the coaching box. That's nothing but an accident. Coach's interference with a runner must be intentional.

But:

A coach stations himself in such a way as to prevent the runner from heading for an out at the plate: That is clearly intentional and obviously interference.