The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

I was wondering where I could get information on becoming a patched umpire. I'm 18 and looking to be patched. Any websites out there to get information?

Thanks,

Ted

PS In Illinois
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Yes I'm looking to get patched.

Thanks,

Ted
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gruberted

Thanks,

Ted
Go to http://www.ihsa.org

Look in the "Officials Department", (not "Officials Center") for "How to become a LIcensed Official".

Also, look at the list of associations and contact one (or more) near you.

Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks,

Ted
Have you considered glue?

Seriously, what the hell is patched?
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MrUmpire
Quote:

Thanks,

Ted

It means when you get certifited, you are given a patch to wear on your shirt, hence the term "patched".
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

No, but thanks for playing...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks,

Ted

It means when you get certifited, you are given a patch to wear on your shirt, hence the term "patched".
I was unaware states did that. So anyone wearing "the patch" is then presumed competent? If they prove otherwise, can we hold the state liable for proclaiming them as such?
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

LOL--

In Illinois after you complete the test and it is graded and you do better than 80 or 85% can't remember which it is
You get a "patch" from the state that has IHSA(Illinois High School Assocation) that they require you to put on your shirt when you do games.And FYI when you go to their home page on the right side about 3/4 ways down there is a link on "becoming A licensed official"

[Edited by Gmoore on Feb 17th, 2005 at 04:30 PM]
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 06:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I was unaware states did that. So anyone wearing "the patch" is then presumed competent? If they prove otherwise, can we hold the state liable for proclaiming them as such?
I will just say this. Many leagues have a requirement that their umpires become licensed. Part of that reason is that there is a higher level of accountability in our state with everyone involved. You have to go through a series of things to work HS ball here. Anyone can work the little leagues or many summer ball and not have any training or real expectations.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks,

Ted

I don't believe many states still do this, Mr. Umpire. Mine doesn't. And despite your comment on liability probably being a joke, it may not be far from a true concern and why states have quit "patching" their umpires.

(Patches? We don't got to show you no stinkin' patches!)

Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 06:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks,

Ted

I don't believe many states still do this, Mr. Umpire. Mine doesn't. And despite your comment on liability probably being a joke, it may not be far from a true concern and why states have quit "patching" their umpires.

(Patches? We don't got to show you no stinkin' patches!)

Thank goodness that the state I live in FORBIDS the wearing of patches. Clean shirt policy -- only exception is a flag patch on the left sleeve, that is optional.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 07:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Garth,

No one from the IHSA office states that their umpires/officials are more competent. That is the culture of the sporting world in this state.

I was doing an AAU basketball game and I was wearing one of my shirts that did not have any IHSA patches on them. One of the coaches seriously thought I was not an IHSA licensed official. I work college ball and other summer games that do not require a shirt with patches.

All the patches means is that you are license thru the IHSA. It means nothing else. All officials during all HS games have wear patches or get be subject to getting written up (which can lead to probation and suspension.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

In ORYGONE . . .

Most local associations do not wear the state patch.

HOWEVER, to work a game in the state championship Triple Header you are not allowed to enter the playing field without the patch properly worn on your umpire shirt, plate coat or windbreaker.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 04:07pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
I was wondering where I could get information on becoming a patched umpire. I'm 18 and looking to be patched. Any websites out there to get information?

Thanks,

Ted

PS In Illinois
What part of Illinois are you from?
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Ted,
First of all, I'll apologize for all the guys who didn't welcome you to group. I'll also apologize for the smart alecs who didn't repsect your legitimate question. I'll also apologize for the wise guys who don't remember what it was like starting out and searching for anyone who would help you along the path to becoming a better official.
Now, here in Ohio, we too have to be " patched " for High School games. It is required by OHSAA to be certified by the State of Ohio and that we wear the OHSAA insignia on our uniforms - shirt, pullover, and jacket - when officiating any high school contest. It does not imply that we are competent officials but it does let every coach, athlete, parent, and fan know that we have attended 24 hours of training and that we annually attend State Interpreters meetings and local association meetings as part of the process to become certified - and maintain our certification. That certainly makes us more competent than those that do not.
So . . . . . . . hats off to you for wanting to be a better official and pursue your career. I hope you find your state affiliated program and you get your certification. It will make you a better official and allow you to move to umpiring higher level games.

[Edited by officialtony on Feb 20th, 2005 at 09:04 AM]
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

In NJ the NJSIAA patch signifies that you have met qualificiations, passed tests, and so on, such that you can do varsity baseball and/or softball games. Many umps do sub-varsity only and don't get patches to wear, though they are certainly "legal" as far as the NJSIAA is concerned. Umps at varsity games do not have to display a patch, but most do.

A few years ago, at the meeting where the patches were passed out, the association gave me four (I did baseball and softball), but somebody—had to be one of our own guys—stole them when I wasn't looking.