The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

FED Balk Timing

The pitcher came set, did not pause and delivered a pitch. How late is too late to make the call when a pitcher does not pause after coming set?
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup View Post
The pitcher came set, did not pause and delivered a pitch. How late is too late to make the call when a pitcher does not pause after coming set?
You could theoretically make this call anytime before the next pitch. Practically, I would say that you have, at most, a few seconds to make the call.
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Call it asap. Just remember that if he delivers the pitch, be ready to dodge a hit ball. Don't take your eyes off that ball until it hits the catchers glove

-Josh
Old Wed Apr 08, 2009, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

And this is why I like OBR !! (Actually OBR is all there is here !!)
Old Wed Apr 08, 2009, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Call it as soon as your brain engages your mouth, preferably by the time the ball reaches the catcher. On a no stop call, you have to make sure that there is no pick off attempt. A delayed call is better than no call when you know you have it right.
Old Wed Apr 08, 2009, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
Call it asap.

-Josh
No matter how fast you call it, the offensive coach is going to call it quicker.

In my experience, if you wait for the catcher to receive the pitch or wait to see if it has been hit before you call the balk, you'll get grief from the defensive coach for "letting the coach make the call."
Old Wed Apr 08, 2009, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
No matter how fast you call it, the offensive coach is going to call it quicker.

In my experience, if you wait for the catcher to receive the pitch or wait to see if it has been hit before you call the balk, you'll get grief from the defensive coach for "letting the coach make the call."
That is a good point. That happens in all sports though If officials didn't have coaches, how would be get any calls correct?

-Josh
Old Wed Apr 08, 2009, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
That is a good point. That happens in all sports though If officials didn't have coaches, how would be get any calls correct?

-Josh
It wouldn't matter because we hardly ever get them correct anyway, unless they are in their favor. Then it's a good call.
Old Wed Apr 08, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
It wouldn't matter because we hardly ever get them correct anyway, unless they are in their favor. Then it's a good call.
But if they didn't yell, then the other team would get all the calls

-Josh
Old Wed Apr 08, 2009, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
Perhaps, but he'll only do that once. If he does it after my ensuing warning, he'll no longer be on the field.
Old Thu Apr 09, 2009, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I always try to make the call emphatic enough to ensure the pitcher does not deliver the ball. (I think that was one of Carl's suggestions from long time ago)

That works well for FED and also works in OBR. If he doesn't throw it at all that makes our job a lot easier.

thanks
David
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
Call it as soon as your brain engages your mouth, preferably by the time the ball reaches the catcher. On a no stop call, you have to make sure that there is no pick off attempt. A delayed call is better than no call when you know you have it right.
Amen brother! That is exactly what I was getting at. When I make all of my other calls, I take my time. I look at a strike and say to myself, "That was a good pitch," and come up with a strike call.