Thread: IHSA Test
View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Ted,
First of all, I'll apologize for all the guys who didn't welcome you to group. I'll also apologize for the smart alecs who didn't repsect your legitimate question. I'll also apologize for the wise guys who don't remember what it was like starting out and searching for anyone who would help you along the path to becoming a better official.
Now, here in Ohio, we too have to be " patched " for High School games. It is required by OHSAA to be certified by the State of Ohio and that we wear the OHSAA insignia on our uniforms - shirt, pullover, and jacket - when officiating any high school contest. It does not imply that we are competent officials but it does let every coach, athlete, parent, and fan know that we have attended 24 hours of training and that we annually attend State Interpreters meetings and local association meetings as part of the process to become certified - and maintain our certification. That certainly makes us more competent than those that do not.
So . . . . . . . hats off to you for wanting to be a better official and pursue your career. I hope you find your state affiliated program and you get your certification. It will make you a better official and allow you to move to umpiring higher level games.

[Edited by officialtony on Feb 20th, 2005 at 09:04 AM]
Sheffield Lake, Ohio