The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB

Don't pay the $35. You will never do a HS game is you are playing.

I would suggest contacting your local LL/Pony/Babe Ruth league and telling them you wish to officiate some games this summer. Durring the summer, apply to the IHSA to work baseball next season. You do not want to wait to Feb. to apply.
Except that same / many local youth leagues pay more to an umpire who is "patched." And, since the process takes some time, he'll want to start now so he's ready when the youth leagues start and he's available (generally after the HS season).

I also think (but verify this with the IHSA), that you can start the process now, but have it not become effective until June, rather than having it become effective now and expiring in June. That might not matter much to the youth league -- some require you to be "patched" at the beginning of the season, but don't care if you don't renew it. You should check this with the Elmwood Park Park district (or whoever runs the local baseball program).

Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 05:02pm
M.A.S.H.

Re: IHSA Test

Finally broke down and started my test! LOL. Trying to get out of basketball mode and into baseball mode. It's a very slow process!
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Lots of "looking up stuff"

It may be different for you tjones but when I took my IHSA baseball test it seemed like I had to look up almost every single question. Seems like they are really trying to "trip up" people with the wording of the questions the last two years.

I don't know if you do baseball AND softball like I do but I definitely noticed a couple of questions on the baseball test that if I had not of looked them up I would have gotten them wrong becuase of thinking sotball and not baseball. A lot of the guys around here (Harrisburg) are REALLY getting away from baseball and only going with softball. I know it is a QUICKER game but my heart will always be with BASEBALL!! Even if I work a 2-3 hr baseball game if there is a lot of good plays and good action it doesn't really seem to me to take that long.

Good luck and let me know how you did. Thanks

"I've never questioned the integrity of an umpire. Their eyesight, yes"---Leo Durocher
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 05:34pm
M.A.S.H.

Question #58

Hmmm, I believe this one was on last year's test.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Better go false on #58/The ball is NOT immediately dead it should be a delayed dead ball. Lots of trick questions this year/Don't you think?

"I've never questioned the integrity of an umpire. Their eyesight, yes"---Leo Durocher
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 07:08pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Strike3UROUT
Better go false on #58/The ball is NOT immediately dead it should be a delayed dead ball. Lots of trick questions this year/Don't you think?
I got false too. But I was thinking this question was on last year's test too....maybe not?
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Hey guys, here are my two cents on this matter. Spend the $35 and get your license. Join a local association, and start working local games as soon as the high school season ends. Most associations around will keep you working until late July and will want you to be licensed. Believe it or not, my estimate is that 20% of IHSA baseball umpires do not even work high school games. When I contact them for a high school assignment I hear more often that not they just wanted to get certified to do local games.

Now as far as the Federation test goes...I think it gets easier every year. After spending about 15 hours on the NCAA test, I started the FEd test and had 28 questions done in 10 minutes...all correct. Yea, they have wordy questions, but most all of them are verbatim out of the book and easy to find. Anything less than a 95 on this is a disappointment, imho.

Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 10:34pm
M.A.S.H.

Re: Lots of

Quote:
Originally posted by Strike3UROUT
It may be different for you tjones but when I took my IHSA baseball test it seemed like I had to look up almost every single question. Seems like they are really trying to "trip up" people with the wording of the questions the last two years.

I don't know if you do baseball AND softball like I do but I definitely noticed a couple of questions on the baseball test that if I had not of looked them up I would have gotten them wrong becuase of thinking sotball and not baseball. A lot of the guys around here (Harrisburg) are REALLY getting away from baseball and only going with softball. I know it is a QUICKER game but my heart will always be with BASEBALL!! Even if I work a 2-3 hr baseball game if there is a lot of good plays and good action it doesn't really seem to me to take that long.

Good luck and let me know how you did. Thanks
Strike3UROUT,

FINALLY!!! I'm done with my exam. I was off and on today whenever I had time to finish it up. Anyways, they were tricky again this year!!! Got a 100. Now it's time for the rules interp, the one I'm going to is on Thursday in Olney.
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

email me Ted, I can help you out.

Mr. Smith

[email protected]