The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

In Ohio it is mandatory to be certified by the State and wear the official OHSAA insignia if you are doing any level of a High Shool contest. While there are many games done each year in the spring and summer by officials without certification ( youth, travel leagues,etc. ), I have found through experience that those officials that do not wear the insignia receive a lot more garbage from the coaches than those who are certified and wear the " patch ". It may be that their officiating dictates the way they are treated, but I believe our certification also grants us a certain amount of respect by the nature of our earning it as a certified official. I can tell you that there are certified officials who are not as competent as others, but in general, most of the certified officials are better than most of the non-certified ones. Before anyone goes off - I said " most ". I have also seen some GREAT officiating done by people without certification who have been doing it for years and just chose not to work the level that requires certification -i.e. High School, College, etc.
Someone earlier in the post alluded that being certified ( patched ) means that you are licensed through the state and that it " means nothing else ". That couldn't be further from the truth. It means you are commited to getting better each year, that you have satisfied all the requirements that the State you work in feels you need to officiate, that you want to continue to learn and understand the sport by attending State Interpreters meetings and local association meetings, that you want to provide a consistency of officiating to young athletes and coaches that allows them to get the full benefit of the enjoyment of playing the game, and that it means more to you than just the money you get for being there.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Here in CT we are not only required to get patched, but afterwards you also get jewels to wear on our sleeves. Green is for Varsity, Blue is for JV. Orange means you did'nt pass the requirements, but we are short of officials. Red means your old, certified and grumpy.

One thing is for certain though, coaches can ask you at any point in the contest "Where are your Jewels", and you HAVE to show them. THATS EMBARRASSING!!!!!
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by officialtony
Ted,
I'll also apologize for the smart alecs who didn't repsect your legitimate question.

Somebody leave a flaming bag on your doorstep? Lighten up.

I didn't see anyone "disrepecting" the original poster. I count three, including myself, who are not familiar with this "patching". Even the poster making a joke (that's joke, j-o-k-e) about glue followed with a question about the meaning of "getting patched"

In my neck of the woods it is no big deal. If you are a member of an assocation and pay your dues, they hand you a "patch" along with the rulebooks. Sometimes they chagre $1 for the patch, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they don't even call it a patch, but rather a "logo."

It isn't a patch that makes an official. It isn't a patch that creates the desire to work, study and improve. But if some states feel that only a patch can possibly signify "excellence", so be it.

Please pardon those of us who do not live in Ohio or Illinois for our ignorance.

[Edited by GarthB on Feb 20th, 2005 at 01:47 PM]
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 01:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:
Originally posted by officialtony
Ted,
I'll also apologize for the smart alecs who didn't repsect your legitimate question.

[Edited by officialtony on Feb 20th, 2005 at 09:04 AM]
Somebody leave a flaming bag on your doorstep? Lighten up.

I didn't see anyone "disrepecting" the original poster. I count three, including myself, who are not familiar with this "patching". Even the poster making a joke (that's joke, j-o-k-e) about glue followed with a question about the meaning of "getting patched"

In my neck of the woods it is no big deal. If you are a member of an assocation and pay your dues, they hand you a "patch" along with the rulebooks. Sometimes they chagre $1 for the patch, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they don't even call it a patch, but rather a "logo."

It isn't a patch that makes an official. It isn't a patch that creates the desire to work, study and improve. But if some state feel that only a patch can possibly signify "excellence", so be it.

Please pardon those of us who do not live in Ohio or Illinois for our ignorance.
Nah, it just reminds me I have to remember to affix my patch for my 2 hoops games in IL this week. What a pain in the a$$.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

And,

Under what possible thoughts could "OfficialTony" even remotely believe that he has the right to apologize for anyone but himself?

It takes all kinds,

[Edited by Tim C on Feb 20th, 2005 at 02:03 PM]
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Ah folks . . . . you missed the whole point of my replies.
If you reread, you will see that I stated " it does not imply that we are competent officials . . " if we are certified. My point was to show the commitment to learning and trying to be better. If you are willing to give up the time to get certified, I guess I figured that long term it would make you a better official. My state certainly does not suggest that the patch can " signify excellence ".
I also stated that " there are certified officials who are not as competent as others . . ". Again my point was to show that being certified doesn't guarantee competence.
I didn't misquote anybody concerning the lack of respect some posters expressed towards the "patching " process. If they don't use that process in your " neck of the woods ", so be it. We DO and we are proud of it. I would rather work in my neck of the woods with others who have the same training. My preference - nothing more. It doesn't make me better than anyone else - or even as good as anyone else. It just puts me on the same page as everyone else.
If the things I expressed, including my apologies, didn't pertain to you, than certainly don't be offended by them. Just ignore them. I have learned alot from this forum - in other sports as well as baseball. I will continue to visit and learn from the others who participate.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Man, oh man . . .

OfficialTony sez:

"If the things I expressed, including my apologies, didn't pertain to you, than certainly don't be offended by them. Just ignore them."
-------------------------------------------------------
I will simply choose to ignore all your posts. Please speak for yourself, only.

Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Fair enough .
This is supposed to be a baseball forum.
There are those I choose to ignore also.
I'll keep my comments to baseball.

Thanks
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Taking test online

In Illinois they have an webstite IHSA.org that allows you to take these tests online. It is very very easy to answer on the test sheet they give you and they answer the online test. Instead of mailing it to them and waiting for them to grade it and let you know this way gives you your score in less than a minute.

Since the test has to be taken by a certain date in March I'd bet ALOT of guys are burning up the site the last two days before the cutoff.

I was able to score a 96 on both the baseball and the softball this year and I believe it is an "80" that you have to score to stay off probation. I like to look up the answers that I have doubts on and I gave up trying to make a "100" becuase they always have a question or two that they end up throwing out or that they worded incorrectly. Seems like the last couple of years they like to get "cute" in their wording to TRY to get you to miss some questions.

As long as I score in the 90's it seems fair to me. The IHSA also mails you a rule book each year and a very helpful CASE BOOK that gives examples of certain questionable scenarios and what the rules are in each case.

I don't think I'm a "rulebook fanatic" on the field but I do want to be comfortable with my rule knowledge. I am totally amazed each year with how many coaches do NOT know the rules or are sure the rules are a certain way WITHOUT reading the rule book because their "old HS coach" taught them a certain way.

"I've never questioned the integrity of an umpire. Their eyesight, yes"---Leo Durocher
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

You know I almost commented earlier and then thought better of it. But you what, Tim, Garth, et. al. Tony has as much right to comment on anything on this board, take anyone on this board to task, and apologize for anyone he see's fit. Just as you have the right to be difficult, borish, childish, pain's in the kiesters.

Just as I have the right to tell you to go stuff all your critical, nitpicky, add nothing to the intelligent dialogue of this board comments as you have to fire right back at me. I typically try to keep it straight up, on the facts and civil, but I am abandoning that course for this particular post.

Very few people call out anyone on this board for acting like immature preteens and now Tim and Garth want to act all offended because someone tried to act civil and give a guy the benefit of the doubt. I'll tell you what, come off it. I should take anyone with an 8th grade education and about 10 seconds of actual thought to figure out what patched meant. It ain't freakin brain surgery.

Try acting civil and not sarcastic. It takes no great effort or brain power to be sarcastic. It's the lowest form of humor precisely because any idiot can do it. Your not special, just for the record. Feel free to ignore this post as well.

Rant over, as you were.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Kalix,

When you're right your right.

And the same is true when you are wrong.

You said:

" . . . and apologize for anyone he see's fit."

Under what thought process can anyone apologize for someone else.

I reserve the right to be childish, boorish and sarcastic. I will live with what that brings me.

But not throwing out baby/bathwater thingy:

EVERYONE knew what "patching" meant . . . some just wnat ed to explain that each state looks at it differently.

I really have no interest in what you care about me as long as it keeps my name in the papers.

Also please notice that all this thread my post have a very interesting Post Number.

[Edited by Tim C on Feb 21st, 2005 at 02:14 PM]
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

"Under what thought process can anyone apologize for someone else."

Under the same thought process that allows you to comment the way you do. Just as you can say anything that the moderators will let go, so can anyone else, which includes feeling like they want to apologize for your behavior, even if you don't understand why they would want to.

Isn't the internet great!

By the way, LMAO on the post number thing...

Classic
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks all of you for your responses.

I'm from a town called elmwood park illinois. I play for the Elmwood Park High School team and I'm a left pitcher. So you guys think its worth it paying 35 bucks and having it expire in June?

Thanks,

ted
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 11:06pm
M.A.S.H.

Don't take this the wrong way, because we need people like you!!! However, if you are still playing, I doubt you will have much time to work games. In which case, it will probably be a waste if you are looking at it from just giving up 35 bucks. However, it would serve a purpose even if you didn't get to work any games and still got your license. You'd be able to read the rule book to take your test ( ) and be able to meet fellow officials and get your name in the hat for next year's scheduling.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gruberted
Thanks all of you for your responses.

I'm from a town called elmwood park illinois. I play for the Elmwood Park High School team and I'm a left pitcher. So you guys think its worth it paying 35 bucks and having it expire in June?

Thanks,

ted
Don't pay the $35. You will never do a HS game is you are playing.

I would suggest contacting your local LL/Pony/Babe Ruth league and telling them you wish to officiate some games this summer. Durring the summer, apply to the IHSA to work baseball next season. You do not want to wait to Feb. to apply.