Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 09:53am

Will you please learn to read...

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

1) The IHSA changed the language of the recent handbook. For many years it recommended that officials should take the Part II test as often as possible. In past books, this was included in the “How to become a better Official” section. It has also been part of the IACAO curriculum for man years.
It was removed from the book, but remained in the packet we received last January.[/B]
Well it does not know and has not since they changed the Part 2 Exam administration.

***Yes, that is what "recent handbook" means. It was changed last year. I have the 2002 and 2003 books, you are wrong - it is in there.***

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
2) The IHSA now runs the Part II test and requires registration. It is provided at sites (available on-line) and is managed on a space available basis. In other words, if they have twenty five officials requesting promotion, they will be frugal in allowing others to take the test for practice. It costs them money to offer the test, after all.
The test is not available on-line. Only the Part 1 Exam is available online. They might tell you what you received on the test, but you cannot take this test online.

***Reading 101 - the sites are available on line. I've already explained how it is scored.***

Quote:
3) The Part I and II tests are important gauges of baseball knowledge. After a few months in hibernation, the umpire can count on having to crack open the rule and case books in order to complete the test. The Part II proves that you can perform under pressure and do it better than the rest. If you look at the number of Certified umpires in Illinois (compared to the total number of licensed umpires) you will see how special this achievement really is.
That is your opinion. That is not the shared opinion of many umpires or officials in many sports. Because what I read is not about what I see and how I have to react. If you feel it is, you have that right to fell that way. I disagree. What else is new?

***Nothing...you have been devoid of logic and fact since coming to this site. Many others have told you the same. These tests have been used for more years than you have been alive. If they had no merit, they would have gone away long ago. Speaking of going away...could you?***

Quote:
I like the old system that allowed groups to administer the Part II test. More people took it and the old tests circulated for others to study the next year. Since it was given on only one day, we had very little risk of the answers leaking out. It six years ago, but the test is still given statewide (by the IHSA) on the same day. If you cannot make it to one of their sites, you have to be given special permission to take it at their headquarters.
You want to talk about cheating? Cheating was one of the reasons they changed the process of this test all together. Associations would administer the test and literally the administrators would give the answers to the actual answer key and let people pass the test. Not just the answers, the answer key.

***Wow, that is called libel. Do you have proof of these claims or are you lying again? Which groups and individuals provided these answer keys? If you want to disparage an entire state, call an attorney first. The reason it was changed may have done more with accountability than anything. Several years ago an entire packet of Part 2 tests went missing. This was a football exam and those guys were pissed. The IHSA took control of the situation and it just makes it tougher for guys like you to become Certified.***

Quote:
We've covered this before. It appears that only a couple of states don't use the tests in some capacity. The majority use them for annual or post season eligibility, promotion or rating criteria.
I realize they might use one or the other. But you have been on a crusade to call everyone a cheater and you do not know which states use the Part 1 Exam at all. I know of states that make up their own test as well. If someone uses the test to personally check their answers to this test, which is given out for study purposes only, you have no right to call them cheaters without know the process in which they use the test. I guess you have the right to say anything you like, but you would be wrong. But that has never stopped you before.

***Wake up...when someone posts, "Hey, send me the answers, too." They aren't looking for anything more than to be able to cheat. I was very tempted to just make up 100 "ABCD" answers and email them along. That would serve them right.

Peace [/B][/QUOTE]

***Much like Falujjah, that offer/extol rings hollow.***
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 09:56am

He tried to derail this discussionto no avail. Please let us know what your state is doing. Thank you to those who have contributed!

• Do you use the Part 1 test in your state?

• Do you use the Part 2 test?

• How are they used and if you don't use them, how do they
test the knowledge of the officials working?
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 12:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

You can only speak for yourself.

Quote:
***Wow, that is called libel. Do you have proof of these claims or are you lying again? Which groups and individuals provided these answer keys? If you want to disparage an entire state, call an attorney first. The reason it was changed may have done more with accountability than anything. Several years ago an entire packet of Part 2 tests went missing. This was a football exam and those guys were pissed. The IHSA took control of the situation and it just makes it tougher for guys like you to become Certified.***
It is liable to state what people went through or their personal experiences. The person that got me into officiating took the Part 2 Exam the year before the IHSA changed the process. In two sports the association that was giving the test went over the exam so everyone could have the answers. It was a common practice and many changes were made to eliminate that practice. I am sure there were other reasons, but there is a reason there are no more officials that give the test. The school now control the test (AD's and Principles usually). The test is given on a specific day, not just a time period that is open for discussion. I think you need to find out what liable is. Because neither is my information false or purposely misleading. I am just telling you what many officials have told me and others. Matter of fact I have heard many official recently talk about how lucky they were to not have to go thru the same promotion process that we have today. Are they lying too?

Quote:
***Wake up...when someone posts, "Hey, send me the answers, too." They aren't looking for anything more than to be able to cheat. I was very tempted to just make up 100 "ABCD" answers and email them along. That would serve them right.
So you know the reasons why everyone wants the answers? I know after I completed my test, I wanted the answers to see which one I got wrong. I recieved them and it was clear which answer was wrong and I was able to figure out why. Just because you cannot think of a reason, does not make what you are saying as the case. I know when I took the Part 2 Exam, I had people send me the answers after I took the test so I could find out if I passed. It mattered to me so I would know when to start having those promotion evaluations filled out. The IHSA did not tell you for a few weeks after you take the test and I wanted to know what I recieved and why I got certain answers wrong. I think you need to speak for yourself.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 03:18pm

From Rut:
It is liable to state what people went through or their personal experiences. ...I think you need to find out what liable is. Because neither is my information false or purposely misleading. I am just telling you what many officials have told me and others. Matter of fact I have heard many official recently talk about how lucky they were to not have to go thru the same promotion process that we have today. Are they lying too?

Libel != liable
I can hardly stop laughing. You say that your information is not false or misleading. In libel cases, you would be asked to support your statement and prove it is accurate. Let me guess, you wonÂ’t name the association or person involved. Then that could be considered libelous to any group or organization that your friend is affiliated with, genius. Maybe they weren't cheating after all; they were just studying the answers prior to the test!!!

The promotion process in Illinois is not very different. You still have to take both tests and receive passing scores. You still have to have Certified officials and coaches support your bid to become Recognized or Certified. In years past, Certified officials were able to rank that official 1-5 and indicate any areas of deficiency. Now, you can only say, “Yes, he /she should be promoted.” or “No, he/she should not.” That is not progress, that is a step in the wrong direction.

Again, with the “many officials I’ve talked to” stuff. These guys cheated to pass and you support sharing answers on this and the basketball site. Times really haven’t changed in your ring of acquaintances.
••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••• •••••••••••••••••••••••••

From Rut:
So you know the reasons why everyone wants the answers? I know after I completed my test, I wanted the answers to see which one I got wrong. I recieved them and it was clear which answer was wrong and I was able to figure out why. Just because you cannot think of a reason, does not make what you are saying as the case. I know when I took the Part 2 Exam, I had people send me the answers after I took the test so I could find out if I passed. It mattered to me so I would know when to start having those promotion evaluations filled out. The IHSA did not tell you for a few weeks after you take the test and I wanted to know what I recieved and why I got certain answers wrong. I think you need to speak for yourself.

BTW: It’s i before e, except after c - check your “received” spellings, both of them!

I did not need the answers, since I scored a 100. However, many of my fellow umpires called to discuss questions that bothered them and asked my opinion. Since my friends know that I donÂ’t like cheaters, they would never call and ask for the answers. IÂ’m happy to teach or assist with a question or two, but donÂ’t ask for all of them.

If you read the test and answer the questions you know, look up the ones you are unsure of and highlight those that may cause trouble, youÂ’ll have a pretty good indication of which ones you got wrong. Then, you can come here and type that single question and receive dozens of replies. Now, youÂ’ll know whether you were right or wrong.

I am only speaking for myself. Carefully, controlled, with reason and logic as my guides. You have taken this personally and that says more about your sense of worth than mine. Still puzzled by my resume? I believe you said that you could measure up against my accomplishments. Do you still think so? IÂ’m sure that the rest of the Board would like to know.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

In Indiana, part one is given to new officials applying for their license. Part II is used for those who apply for postseason, it is mailed out to you and you have a period of time to return it. We normally get together and go thru it together!

Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Does your state mandate the NFHS Part 1 test in order for you to work high school baseball games?

Windy, IMO your question should be rephrased to say

"Does your association" mandate the NFHS Part 1 Test in order for you to work HS baseball games.

I live in NY where there are many associations and each one has their own requirements. However, it boils down to supply and demand meaning in general we have a shortage and it's not uncommon for the Modified Divisions to have only one umpire assigned.

So why we have to take the tests for the most part they are done in a group environment, meaning there are no real grading resctrictions UNLESS you are a "first time starter" in which case in order to gain INITIAL membership here in NY one needs a score of 85% or better to pass. There are however, 4-5 prep classes to aid you.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 04:33pm

Mick,

I'm fairly familiar with how to change a screen name. I'm not sure why you have chosen to respond with a name other than my screen name. One might construe this as an intent to intimidate, embarrass or besmirch. Someone else might advise a moderator to remain above the fray and restrain himself from doing something he might regret. Much like a big game, this is a crucial call and it is all yours.

[Edited by WindyCityBlue on Nov 17th, 2004 at 05:01 PM]
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 07:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Much like a big game, this is a crucial call and it is all yours.
Oh, my!
Fixed it.
mick

Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 01:14pm

Apology accepted...lame as it was.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 02:27pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Apology accepted...lame as it was.
That was not an apology.
I didn't know an apology was necessary.

Here is my apology:
  • Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Won't happen again.

mick

Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 02:49pm

"I didn't know..."

That was almost as good as the most famous "I don't know" of all time...Mr. Hand in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Of course you did.

Moderators of this board must discern when someone crosses the line, must refrain from petty swipes and must exercise good judgement.

I'm sure you have a mirror handy.
    Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 02:56pm
    In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
    "I didn't know..."

That was almost as good as the most famous "I don't know" of all time...Mr. Hand in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Of course you did.

Moderators of this board must discern when someone crosses the line, must refrain from petty swipes and must exercise good judgement.

I'm sure you have a mirror handy.

Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 10:00pm
    Official Forum Member

Libel charges

Windy, in the U.S. it is the plaintiff charging libel or slander who must prove in court three things: (1) that statements by the defendant are false; (2) that the defendant published those statements knowing that they were false and with intent to damage the plaintiff; and (3) that the defendant has in fact been damaged by the false information. This heavy burden of proof is firmly on the plaintiff. In Britain, the reverse obtains: there, the accused must prove that the information is true. Maybe you should stick to umpiring instead of legal issues.

And thanks for catching folks' spelling errors. That's a crucial service you provide, and the site wouldn't be the same without it.
    Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 02:49pm

Typically, I prefer to find fault with the logic of his advice and opinions. Since that is usually absent from most of his posts, I was forced to perform a cyber-lobotomy on myself in order to communicate with him. Now that I have dumbed myself down again, I will be happy to answer any of your questions.

For the record, I have been both defendant and plaintiff in the aformentioned suits. I have counsel that is much better versed than yourself. When you own many properties, you're bound to have trouble with tenants and management companies. I find the company of court officials almost as tedious as your introspect.

I must have missed another memo. When exactly did you become the next Rut?
    Closed Thread