The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 01:11pm

One for the ages...

NAHA Baseball playoffs (wood bat weekend warriors). R2 is off on the pitch and B/R drops a beautiful bunt down the first baseline. The pitcher fields it and short hops a rushed throw to first. It skips about twenty feet past the 1B and R2 is heading for home. The catcher accidentally kicks the bat on his way back to home and it stops in the right hander’s batters box. You can see this coming...here’s the throw and the slide, a broken hand and an out later, the on deck batter is going crazy right in my face. He’s yelling that I’ve got to get the bat out of the way and that I’m going to be sued for negligence. I do my best “ignore him, he’s an a-hole” routine and bend done to dust the plate. He picks up the bat in question and flings it over my head at the back stop. It ricochets and hits an opposing player who is sitting on a bucket in the dugout opening. The guy who got hit charges the punk who threw it and the benches clear. A couple of punches thrown and a lot of dancing. What have we got? A broken hand going to the hospital, seven ejections and a bunch of guys breathing hard.

As I’m explaining it to the scorekeeper, “Broken Hand’s” assistant coach comes over and demands to know my name. I tell him to go away and continue talking to the scorekeeper above the backstop. The coach grabs my shoulder to spin me around and now has my full attention. He too gets dumped and we’re only in the third inning! For the rest of the game my partners and I rode the “Kill the Ump” bus. In the eighth, we noticed a sheriff’s deputy sitting in the lot and figured that we were safe. Nope, he was there for us alright, but only because the guy who got hit by the bat was pressing battery charges against the bat thrower. Only he left after he was ejected...so now they need witnesses and statements. The game started at 7:00 and we were finally permitted to leave after midnight. Ninety bucks was not enough for a Saturday night in Hell!
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
I'm thinking that by this time my fuze is pretty short. Coach spins me around like that and I am going to have to fight to keep my composure so I don't rip his skull out of his face.

My ruling - this game is a forfeit to the other team. Screw 'em!

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 01:38pm
In Memoriam

Oh, my!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
One for the ages...
You may not need it, but good luck with that cesspool.
mick
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
One for the ages...

NAHA Baseball playoffs (wood bat weekend warriors). R2 is off on the pitch and B/R drops a beautiful bunt down the first baseline. The pitcher fields it and short hops a rushed throw to first. It skips about twenty feet past the 1B and R2 is heading for home. The catcher accidentally kicks the bat on his way back to home and it stops in the right hander’s batters box. You can see this coming...here’s the throw and the slide, a broken hand and an out later, the on deck batter is going crazy right in my face. He’s yelling that I’ve got to get the bat out of the way and that I’m going to be sued for negligence. I do my best “ignore him, he’s an a-hole” routine and bend done to dust the plate. He picks up the bat in question and flings it over my head at the back stop. It ricochets and hits an opposing player who is sitting on a bucket in the dugout opening. The guy who got hit charges the punk who threw it and the benches clear. A couple of punches thrown and a lot of dancing. What have we got? A broken hand going to the hospital, seven ejections and a bunch of guys breathing hard.

As I’m explaining it to the scorekeeper, “Broken Hand’s” assistant coach comes over and demands to know my name. I tell him to go away and continue talking to the scorekeeper above the backstop. The coach grabs my shoulder to spin me around and now has my full attention. He too gets dumped and we’re only in the third inning! For the rest of the game my partners and I rode the “Kill the Ump” bus. In the eighth, we noticed a sheriff’s deputy sitting in the lot and figured that we were safe. Nope, he was there for us alright, but only because the guy who got hit by the bat was pressing battery charges against the bat thrower. Only he left after he was ejected...so now they need witnesses and statements. The game started at 7:00 and we were finally permitted to leave after midnight. Ninety bucks was not enough for a Saturday night in Hell!
Rut;

Here is your opportunity to find out who Windy is. Things like this do not happen without word getting around. It might even be in the paper. There are only four reasons that you will not be able to find Windy now:

1. It did not happen or did not happen in the way that he said it did.
2. It happened a long way from Chicago. Windy was umpiring while on vacation.
3. You made no effort to find out or were incompetent in your efforts.
4. I am Windy and have been making all this stuff up to bedevil you.

Let us know what you find.

Peter
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

I always have in the back of my mind that no matter how smoothly things seem to be going in a game, we're always one play—one collision, one call, one insult, one idiotic notion (it's the ump's job to move the bat)—away from a terrible situation. Even uneventful games can explode out of the blue, as I guess most of us have seen at one time or another.

[Edited by greymule on Aug 3rd, 2004 at 05:06 PM]
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

OK

greymule, this may be a first:

" . . .(it's the ump's job to move the bat)"

We agree completely on all parts of your post. Now we will get a group of guys that say, "I'm no bat boy!" . . .

I remember the time we spent at umpire school clearing the bat.

Good post.

Tee
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

ooohhhhh...the gauntlet has been thrown!
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

In 1969, as my college team (from Maine) was preparing to play the next game at a field in Miami, a riot erupted when the outfielder for a Massachusetts team appeared to step through an opening in the outfield fence to make a key catch in a close game. The umps ruled it an out, and the home team guys went crazy. As the epithets started flying, an infielder for the Massachusetts team wound up and fired a ball into the Miami dugout, scattering the players, who then charged out onto the field. The first baseman for the Mass team was an All-American football lineman, and I remember him tossing opponents around like rag dolls. An assistant coach ran out to the pileup on the mound and constantly blew on a whistle, trying to calm things down. It took a full 20 minutes before order was restored.

We played the home team next. I figured I'd dump the first batter to show them we meant business. Yeah, right.

Interestingly, one of the coaches was Art Ditmar, former pitcher for the Yankees, and two of the players (Mickey Rivers, Bucky Dent) ended up with the Yanks.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 04:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
Rut;

Here is your opportunity to find out who Windy is. Things like this do not happen without word getting around. It might even be in the paper.
I do not really care who he is at the end of the day. My main attention is not pointed in the direction of baseball. We just started football meetings yesterday and I have work to do some duties that have to do with that.

Quote:
There are only four reasons that you will not be able to find Windy now:

1. It did not happen or did not happen in the way that he said it did.
2. It happened a long way from Chicago. Windy was umpiring while on vacation.
3. You made no effort to find out or were incompetent in your efforts.
4. I am Windy and have been making all this stuff up to bedevil you.

Let us know what you find.

Peter
Not only am I not going to find out anything, I really do not care to find out anything. Peter, I realize that this site means a lot to you. The internet is the place you seem to try to validate your ability or your point of view. This place in the bigger picture is just for entertainment purposes. So Windy could be one if not all the people that he has mentioned and others have thought of over these last few months. Maybe in very late March I will care, but not right now. I have several months of football and basketball to tend to. Wake me up when I begin to care about what my baseball schedule looks like.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

3731 - 226

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Not only am I not going to find out anything, I really do not care to find out anything. Peter, I realize that this site means a lot to you. The internet is the place you seem to try to validate your ability or your point of view. This place in the bigger picture is just for entertainment purposes. So Windy could be one if not all the people that he has mentioned and others have thought of over these last few months.
Peace
Rut;

We have been here about the same amount of time. In that period, you have made 3731 posts and I have made 225.

So, tell me again, who is attempting validating his ability by posting here?

And you care a whole lot about who Windy is. The war of words with Windy on McGriffs prove it. To say otherwise is another one of your ____. (Insert word which means to deviate from the truth.)

Peter
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 05:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

NEWS FLASH!!!

Quote:
Rut;

We have been here about the same amount of time. In that period, you have made 3731 posts and I have made 225.

The amount of posts that I have has a lot to do with the fact that I post on the basketball and football boards as well. I do not just work one sport. You might only post on the baseball side, but I just today posted on 3 boards on this site.

Quote:
And you care a whole lot about who Windy is. The war of words with Windy on McGriffs prove it. To say otherwise is another one of your ____. (Insert word which means to deviate from the truth.)

Peter
Peter, I realize you want to think of me in many terms. But I have a couple camps coming up I am involved in. I have a football season and two crews to concern myself with. I have meetings to run and presentations in those meetings. I am still receiving games for this coming basketball season. Honestly, other than a meeting sometime this fall about our baseball organization, I will not have my attention paid that close to anything baseball. Right now the baseball season is so far away I do not even know how many games I want to work this coming season. There are is a basketball clinic in Las Vegas I might work at in April and a football clinic in Michigan I might attend. By November/December I will know what half my basketball schedule will be and by January I will have a great idea what my football schedule will be as well. I did 50 basketball games to 3 baseball games this summer. The baseball I did at was a tournament and I have no idea who won the tournament or did not care to work past one weekend. I have talked more on this board (officiating.com) about basketball than I did at all about baseball. Many of the back and forth we have had, they posts were deleted and that does not count toward your total number.

Baseball is not my life like it seems to be for you and Windy. Baseball is just something I do to pass the time until the summer comes, so I can work more basketball and attend a major football camp. I hope the both of you have a great rest of the summer and a great season next year. I wish neither of you ill will and I am sure we will disagree in the future. I think for me it is time to turn my attention to other things and the sports that really matter to me. Debating with you and Windy is not going to make me apply PSK better or make sure my crew is on the same page for this fall.

Let us all move on, shall we.

Thumbs Up

Peace
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Re: NEWS FLASH!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Rut;

The amount of posts that I have has a lot to do with the fact that I post on the basketball and football boards as well. I do not just work one sport. You might only post on the baseball side, but I just today posted on 3 boards on this site.

Quote:

Peter
Peter, I realize you want to think of me in many terms. But I have a couple camps coming up I am involved in. I have a football season and two crews to concern myself with. I have meetings to run and presentations in those meetings. I am still receiving games for this coming basketball season. Honestly, other than a meeting sometime this fall about our baseball organization, I will not have my attention paid that close to anything baseball. Right now the baseball season is so far away I do not even know how many games I want to work this coming season. There are is a basketball clinic in Las Vegas I might work at in April and a football clinic in Michigan I might attend. By November/December I will know what half my basketball schedule will be and by January I will have a great idea what my football schedule will be as well. I did 50 basketball games to 3 baseball games this summer. The baseball I did at was a tournament and I have no idea who won the tournament or did not care to work past one weekend. I have talked more on this board (officiating.com) about basketball than I did at all about baseball. Many of the back and forth we have had, they posts were deleted and that does not count toward your total number.

Baseball is not my life like it seems to be for you and Windy. Baseball is just something I do to pass the time until the summer comes, so I can work more basketball and attend a major football camp. I hope the both of you have a great rest of the summer and a great season next year. I wish neither of you ill will and I am sure we will disagree in the future. I think for me it is time to turn my attention to other things and the sports that really matter to me. Debating with you and Windy is not going to make me apply PSK better or make sure my crew is on the same page for this fall.

Let us all move on, shall we.

Thumbs Up

Peace
Just an observation. Since I do have time to read the boards "since I don't do football",

if baseball means so little to Mr. Rut, then why would he be taking the time to post on a BASEBALL board.

Just a thought!

Have a nice day

Thanks
David

Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 07:10pm
In Memoriam

Closed Thread