Thread: What a night...
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

In 1969, as my college team (from Maine) was preparing to play the next game at a field in Miami, a riot erupted when the outfielder for a Massachusetts team appeared to step through an opening in the outfield fence to make a key catch in a close game. The umps ruled it an out, and the home team guys went crazy. As the epithets started flying, an infielder for the Massachusetts team wound up and fired a ball into the Miami dugout, scattering the players, who then charged out onto the field. The first baseman for the Mass team was an All-American football lineman, and I remember him tossing opponents around like rag dolls. An assistant coach ran out to the pileup on the mound and constantly blew on a whistle, trying to calm things down. It took a full 20 minutes before order was restored.

We played the home team next. I figured I'd dump the first batter to show them we meant business. Yeah, right.

Interestingly, one of the coaches was Art Ditmar, former pitcher for the Yankees, and two of the players (Mickey Rivers, Bucky Dent) ended up with the Yanks.