Thread: What a night...
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 01:11pm

One for the ages...

NAHA Baseball playoffs (wood bat weekend warriors). R2 is off on the pitch and B/R drops a beautiful bunt down the first baseline. The pitcher fields it and short hops a rushed throw to first. It skips about twenty feet past the 1B and R2 is heading for home. The catcher accidentally kicks the bat on his way back to home and it stops in the right hander’s batters box. You can see this coming...here’s the throw and the slide, a broken hand and an out later, the on deck batter is going crazy right in my face. He’s yelling that I’ve got to get the bat out of the way and that I’m going to be sued for negligence. I do my best “ignore him, he’s an a-hole” routine and bend done to dust the plate. He picks up the bat in question and flings it over my head at the back stop. It ricochets and hits an opposing player who is sitting on a bucket in the dugout opening. The guy who got hit charges the punk who threw it and the benches clear. A couple of punches thrown and a lot of dancing. What have we got? A broken hand going to the hospital, seven ejections and a bunch of guys breathing hard.

As I’m explaining it to the scorekeeper, “Broken Hand’s” assistant coach comes over and demands to know my name. I tell him to go away and continue talking to the scorekeeper above the backstop. The coach grabs my shoulder to spin me around and now has my full attention. He too gets dumped and we’re only in the third inning! For the rest of the game my partners and I rode the “Kill the Ump” bus. In the eighth, we noticed a sheriff’s deputy sitting in the lot and figured that we were safe. Nope, he was there for us alright, but only because the guy who got hit by the bat was pressing battery charges against the bat thrower. Only he left after he was ejected...so now they need witnesses and statements. The game started at 7:00 and we were finally permitted to leave after midnight. Ninety bucks was not enough for a Saturday night in Hell!