The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Under Dixie Boys/Majors (which follows OBR with noted exceptions), rule 8.95 states "Any pitcher being replaced on the mound by another pitcher cannot return to the mound."

Is pinch running considered 'replacement'?

Dixie Major WS yesterday, S. Carolina's pitcher was not allowed to return to the mound after he was pinch-ran for in the preceeding 1/2 inning. S. Carolina protested, but umpires decision was upheld by protest committee...rumblings after the game was that protest committee was wrong.

Thoughts?
Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BayouUmp
Under Dixie Boys/Majors (which follows OBR with noted exceptions), rule 8.95 states "Any pitcher being replaced on the mound by another pitcher cannot return to the mound."

Is pinch running considered 'replacement'?

Dixie Major WS yesterday, S. Carolina's pitcher was not allowed to return to the mound after he was pinch-ran for in the preceeding 1/2 inning. S. Carolina protested, but umpires decision was upheld by protest committee...rumblings after the game was that protest committee was wrong.

Thoughts?
I don't have a Dixie rule book, so I might be totaly wrong on this. But I think the that they got this one wrong. The rule says "replaced on the mound for another pitcher." I assume that they don't allowed projected subutitions, so while the team in on offnese, no one may be declared the pitcher. F1 was never replaced on the mound, he just left the game.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have a Dixie Rule Book either, but you can find one on the net. I can not find a Dixie Rule 8.95. But, 8.07d says "a pitcher removed from the mound for any reason shall not return to the mound to pitch during the same game". Since the pitcher was removed for a pinch runner (ie not removed from the mound), this rule does not apply and the pitcher should be able to re-enter as the pitcher.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

After overnight deliberation...tournament officials decided 'they got in wrong' and informed the all of the umpires that pinch-running for the pitcher should not be considered 'removal from the mound'.

Too bad they weren't able to make this decision during the game on Sunday. Leading 5-2, South Carolina was forced to bring in a new pitcher who gave up 4 runs to Tenn and they lost 6-5.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After overnight deliberation...tournament officials decided 'they got in wrong' and informed the all of the umpires that pinch-running for the pitcher should not be considered 'removal from the mound'.

Too bad they weren't able to make this decision during the game on Sunday. Leading 5-2, South Carolina was forced to bring in a new pitcher who gave up 4 runs to Tenn and they lost 6-5.
You mean they didn't protest the game? That was stupid of them.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You'd think that they would right the entire wrong and start the game up from the point of interruption.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure about Dixie either, but League does allow...
"may not return if removed from the mound, but may be removed for a sub batter who has already played 3 consec def outs, and re-enter the game as a pitcher once, provided he/she was not physically replaced on the mound."

I do believe that this wouold cover a pinch runner as well.

Bayou Ump said that the protest committee made the ruling.
What else could they do. As an UIC, don't you have to follow the ruling, even if you don't think that it is right?

The one thing I don't know is if there was a higher authority to appeal it to, or were they at the top?

I agree w/OMQ, start the game from the point of concern and let the kids play!