The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Re: IF/ fly ball

Quote:
Originally posted by quiggley94
now i asked that question a week ago and was told to tag up required a catch this is atleast mildly confusing. does the infeilder making contact"touching" the ball require a tag up or as it was explained to me only catching the ball.
If the ball is (eventually) caught, the runner can leave when it's first touched.

If the ball is not caught, runners need not tag up.

Old Fri May 14, 2004, 11:26am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Re: IF/ fly ball

Quote:
Originally posted by quiggley94

now i asked that question a week ago and was told to tag up required a catch this is atleast mildly confusing. does the infeilder making contact"touching" the ball require a tag up or as it was explained to me only catching the ball.
If the fielder looks like they are going to catch the ball chances are the runners are going to tag up anyway, but on those chances where there may be a hit and run, the runner does not need to tag up if the ball is not caught. So, if the runner advanced from 2B to 3B on a fly ball the fielder set up under it and touches but does not catch the ball the runner is not required to go back and tag up, only if caught and they must retouch every base in sequence on their way back to tag up.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by greymule
a fair ball is a batted ball which: contacts fair ground on or beyond an imaginary line between first and third base

That's the Fed rule. OBR is different.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How is OBR different?

OBR does not recognize any line between 1B and 3B. For example, if a popup lands halfway between the mound and 2B and then somehow spins foul untouched (between home plate and 1B or 3B), it's a foul ball. In Fed, it would be fair.

More likely is a ball that lands behind the 1B-3B line near 1B or 3B and then spins foul between home and 1B or 3B. Fair in Fed, foul in OBR.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
Quote:
a fair ball is a batted ball which: contacts fair ground on or beyond an imaginary line between first and third base

How is OBR different?
OBR 2.00 "A FAIR BALL is a batted ball that...is on or over fair territory when bounding to the outfield past first or third base, or that first falls on fair territory on or beyond first base or third base."
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
Quote:

How is OBR different?
See 6 posts earlier, where I quoted from OBR - "or that first falls on fair territory on or beyond first or third base". If it falls fair beyond the bag it is fair no matter where it spins to.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

There seems to be some confusion regarding my last post, regarding the difference between Fed and OBR.

Of course it does not matter where the balls spins if it first lands in fair territory past 1B or 3B in OBR or past the imaginary line connecting 1B and 3B in Fed.

But if the ball first lands two feet fair and one foot before 1B or 3B, it is fair no matter where it spins in Fed, but in OBR it could still spin foul.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

So, if this happens in a FED game, we call IF and the batter will be out, whether or not the ball is touched.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

fly debate

The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. MLB/ORB 2.00 infeild fly.

ok thats the answer i got before but the rule on statement dosenot mention catch. can anybody referance retouch/tag up rules to me.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 03:45pm
I drank what?

Quote:
But if the ball first lands two feet fair and one foot before 1B or 3B, it is fair no matter where it spins in Fed, but in OBR it could still spin foul.
I learned something new today, I bet I get an earful the first time I get to call one this way in a FED game.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There seems to be some confusion regarding my last post, regarding the difference between Fed and OBR.

Of course it does not matter where the balls spins if it first lands in fair territory past 1B or 3B in OBR or past the imaginary line connecting 1B and 3B in Fed.

I don't think the FED ruling is accurate. A ball that lands fair and spins foul before reaching 1B is foul, unless it landed beyond an imaginary line linking 1B to 3B. If it is 2 feet in front of the bag, then it can't be beyond an imaginar line linking 1B to 3B. The 1B to 3B line is Fed only.

There is no difference in FED and OBR on a ball that lands in fair territory beyond 1B or 3B. It is fair, regardless of where it spins.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 05:42pm
I drank what?

OK, I think I just unlearned something today....
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

If it is 2 feet in front of the bag, then it can't be beyond an imaginary line linking 1B to 3B.

My post specifies two feet fair and one foot in front of the bag. That would put it BEHIND, by a few inches, the imaginary line connecting 1B and 3B. That is a fair ball in Fed no matter where it spins.