The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Infield Fly - Untouched (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/13652-infield-fly-untouched.html)

brumey1107 Thu May 13, 2004 12:31pm

I'm looking for clarification/confirmation on the Infield Fly Rule.

In review of the OBR definition of terms with regards to the infield fly rule it states in part "The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball."

My question is, Does the phrase "after the ball is touched" apply even if ball drops to the ground untouched and stays in fair territory?

Example: R1 and R2, no outs. BR hits high pop fly in infield. Infield Fly is called. F6 calls for the catch, but looses the ball in the sun and it drops untouched in fair territory to the ground and remains in fair territory.

In this scenario the runners need to retouch their bases, correct?

Thanks in advance for your help.

greymule Thu May 13, 2004 12:36pm

No. The runners don't have to tag up on a ball that is not caught.

Seems that "touched" in your edition should read "caught."

thumpferee Thu May 13, 2004 12:40pm

I think the wording "retouch and advance after the ball is touched" refers to when you can advance, such as the first touch by a fielder who bobbles but eventually catches the ball legally.

Baseball_North Thu May 13, 2004 12:41pm

Infield Fly

The ONLY thing that the Infield Rule does is eliminate the BR. The batter is out if the ball is fair.

Runners may advance at their discretion, just like on any pop up or fly ball. Only need to tag on a legal catch.

scyguy Thu May 13, 2004 03:39pm

how about the IF that lands near 1st base( lets say 3 feet away into fair, two feet behind bag), but is untouched, then rolls into foul territory between 1st and home. What do we have??

brumey1107 Thu May 13, 2004 04:04pm

If a declared Infield Fly is allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces foul before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball.

Even if the ball lands untouched past first or third in fair territory and then because of the spin rolls foul between 1st and home or 3rd and home I would still rule foul ball.

thumpferee Thu May 13, 2004 04:08pm

infield fly batter is out IF fair!

DG Thu May 13, 2004 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally posted by brumey1107
If a declared Infield Fly is allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces foul before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball.

Even if the ball lands untouched past first or third in fair territory and then because of the spin rolls foul between 1st and home or 3rd and home I would still rule foul ball.

Don't think so - "or that first falls on fair territory on or beyond first or third base". If it falls fair beyond the bag it is fair no matter where it spins to.

oatmealqueen Thu May 13, 2004 08:41pm

Quote:

Originally posted by brumey1107

Uhhh brumey,
that's a fair ball, once it passes 1st or 3rd.

quiggley94 Fri May 14, 2004 07:27am

IF debate

i asked a similar question before and the guidline i gleaned from the post was except for the batter who is called out immediately all other rules pertaining to fly balls stand basicaly touched has no real meaning and refers to caught. as for your situation if the ball roles across the base line in front of 1st and 3rd its location(inside/ outside the line) determines fair/foul. so in your example the ball roles outside the foul line while inside the 1st base line it is foul IF is canceled. if the same happene behind 1st base then the ball is fair IF stands.

w_sohl Fri May 14, 2004 07:59am

The word "touched" is the correct word used here as runners can advance as soon as the ball is TOUCHED not caught. This is why the word touched is used instead of caught. For example, a fly ball to RF, the fielder sets up under the ball and as he touches it it hits the heel of his glove and bounces out but he stays with it and catches the ball before it comes in contact with the ground. As soon as the ball TOUCHED the fielders glove the runners are off and running leagally.

scyguy Fri May 14, 2004 10:34am

2-5-1b a fair ball is a batted ball which: contacts fair ground on or beyond an imaginary line between first and third base

this ball obviously fell in fair ground beyond the imaginary line. Ruling fair ball, INF in effect, batter out!!

Sorry, just couldn't resist posting the question.

greymule Fri May 14, 2004 10:38am

<b>a fair ball is a batted ball which: contacts fair ground on or beyond an imaginary line between first and third base</b>

That's the Fed rule. OBR is different.

w_sohl Fri May 14, 2004 11:07am

Quote:

Originally posted by greymule
<b>a fair ball is a batted ball which: contacts fair ground on or beyond an imaginary line between first and third base</b>

That's the Fed rule. OBR is different.

How is OBR different?

quiggley94 Fri May 14, 2004 11:15am

IF/ fly ball

Quote:

Originally posted by w_sohl
The word "touched" is the correct word used here as runners can advance as soon as the ball is TOUCHED not caught. This is why the word touched is used instead of caught. For example, a fly ball to RF, the fielder sets up under the ball and as he touches it it hits the heel of his glove and bounces out but he stays with it and catches the ball before it comes in contact with the ground. As soon as the ball TOUCHED the fielders glove the runners are off and running leagally.
that is true but the rule book actually says tag up if touched, but if the ball is not caught that does not matter no tag up

The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. MLB/ORB 2.00 infeild fly.

now i asked that question a week ago and was told to tag up required a catch this is atleast mildly confusing. does the infeilder making contact"touching" the ball require a tag up or as it was explained to me only catching the ball.