The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to wobster
I am a relatively new umpire. I have done mostly town league games to this point. I just got my certification to do 1/4 pint (9-11) and 1/2 pint (12+13). Better kids, more pressure, etc.

My question is this:
What do you guys suggest I do to make myself the best umpire I can be? I have read the rule book numerous times, so I know the rules. Are there any mechanics I should learn? I know the 2 man and 3 man field mechanics,etc, but I mean plate stance, position to make call, etc. I have been umpiring for 3 years for town league, but I am still unsure of my abilities.

Any advice you guys could give would be great!

Thanks,

Chad
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

There is more to the rules than the rule book, so, if you can, get ahold of all the resources you can find. Three that are available for purchase are the "Baseball RUles Differences" available here and the "Rules of Baseball" (The Jaksa.Roder Manual or J/R) available at rulesofbaseball.com. The PBUC or Professional Baseball Umpirs Corp manual is available at pluspos.com (and maybe elsewhere).

Keep reading the message boards. Take the time to learn when, in a dispute, which persons are more likely to give the correect answer.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Umpire!

Quote:
Originally posted by wobster
I am a relatively new umpire. I have done mostly town league games to this point. I just got my certification to do 1/4 pint (9-11) and 1/2 pint (12+13). Better kids, more pressure, etc.

My question is this:
What do you guys suggest I do to make myself the best umpire I can be? I have read the rule book numerous times, so I know the rules. Are there any mechanics I should learn? I know the 2 man and 3 man field mechanics,etc, but I mean plate stance, position to make call, etc. I have been umpiring for 3 years for town league, but I am still unsure of my abilities.

Any advice you guys could give would be great!

Thanks,

Chad
My suggestion is to umpire and umpire and umpire.

Lots and lots of games. Go all over town trying to get as many games as you can.

Use some of the money and make sure you have good equipment, (that makes you a better umpire because you're not worried about being hurt) and then learn as you go.

This site is good for reading up on rules.

You stated above "I know the rules," but that's a bold statement. Wait until you see it happen in the game and then you can on the spur of the momemntn apply what you've learned.

Then you know you're on the way to being a good umpire.

I know lots and see lots of umpires who know the rules, but their application of the rules is horrible.

Thus IMO they are not a good umpire.

It takes doing it over and over again.

That's my suggestion.

Thanks
David
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to wobster
sorry, David B, I didn't mean to say that I meant I know ALL the rules, I know the basic rules. I have been reading on the net on Neighborhood calls, as well. I think I know how they work.

I am probably going to end up doing 30 or so games this summer, which will be good practice.

I have just went out and spent over $250 on good equipment and uniforms, so I have that covered, until I get to the big time and I need the $200 chest protectors, etc.

thanks guys.