The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Here's a situation that happened to me today where I'm not sure if I should have called runner interference:

Runner on first. Batter hits a ball to the shortstop. Shortstop throws the ball to the second baseman. Second baseman steps on the bag at second with one foot and was attempting to throw the ball to first. After the fielder steps on second and before he throws to first, the runner slides towards second base (the slide was completely legal and in the base path). The slide occurred within 3 feet of second base. The fielder had one foot on the bag and one foot in the base path of the runner. Runner then makes contact with the feet of the second baseman and prevents him from making a throw to first. The fielder was never able to get the ball out of his glove. The fielder was twisted around, but never fell to the ground.

In my judgement, I felt that the runner was sliding to avoid being hit as well as break up the double play. However, the contact that was made seemed to me to be minor and incidental. Therefore, I let the play stand with an out at second and a runner on first. Your thoughts???

If the fielder would have been able to throw to first after stepping on second and it resulted in an overthrow, would there have been any batter interference at this point???

Old Fri May 14, 2004, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

First, off maybe you meant RUNNER interference.... I don't see how it could have been batter interference.

From the way you describe the play, you made the right call. It seems as if R1 just made a good baseball play by breaking up the double play in a clean, but hard manner.

If the runner went off of the baseline and interfered with 2B, and you thought the double play would have been turned, then both R1 and BR are out.

Same thing if there is malicious contact.

But given the play you outlined, you did the right thing.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds legal to me. Overthrow, should it occur in this situation, is not relevant.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Fed, right?
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, Fed rules...In the second situation, replace batter interference with runner interference.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Good call!

Quote:
Originally posted by manhong
Yes, Fed rules...In the second situation, replace batter interference with runner interference.
That's a good call. As you stated the slide was legal and directly to the bag.

That's legal. F4 just needs to learn cross the bag on the pivot or step back and get out of the way.

If he overthrows that's just too bad.

Just make sure in explaining to the coach, the slide was legal and to the bag.

Thanks
David