The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Playing in a 14u boys triple crown tournament this weekend,
each pitcher is limited to 7innings this is really not monitored very well. Coaches are usually on the honor system and are expected to follow the rules and most do.
However in this instance we had one team that was suspect.
What really compounded the problem was that his players did not wear the same numbers on Sunday as they did on Saturday.
The coaches comment was we change numbers all the time, so in reality it was impossible to keep up with innings pitched by this team. Now is this not a big deal and something we are making to much of. Would like some opinions.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

If they are 14, the reason they have limited innings, is so they don't throw out their arms. It is a safety thing. So I think you should make a big deal of this. And this coach is straight up lying to your face. Does he not know the player's names? I guess he only knows thier numbers, and when they switch, he can't tell them apart. If this is a big time tournament, there is probally an official scorrer. He should be able to look back a few pages in his book and see how much was pitched. That is assuming that the players names are listed, not just their numbers.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

The coach and parents know who is who but how can anyone else at the tournament keep tract they do not know these kids. my point is the only reason to change numbers is to try and beat the rules. I believe you should have the same number thru out the tournament we do and I believe most teams do too. No one at the tournament really wants to push the issue.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

For tournament play (here, at least), players must register and sign in to each tournament, and there is a listing of full name and number beside their signature.

Therefore, the players cannot change numbers.

They must be cheating... why else would they change numbers? Just for fun? I don't think so....
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

The tournaments I have been involved in keep up with pitcher's names, not numbers. Coaches must sign the book after each game. A tournament that has pitching restrictions that does not keep up with the innings pitched, by name, is not much of a tournament.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Whenever I have umpired Triple Crown, the umpires are required to keep track of innings pitched by each pitcher on the field and turn those numbers in to the tournament manager.

Exactly where was this tournament held?
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Tournament was this last weekend in Waco, Tx.