The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Davis-ing today (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/13535-davis-ing-today.html)

pob14 Wed May 05, 2004 03:35pm

I'll be trying out the Gerry Davis stance this afternoon for the first time in game conditions (well, LL majors, about as close to game conditions as I get!)

Will report tomorrow.

POB

MichaelVA2000 Sat May 08, 2004 09:01pm

Gerry Davis stance

Guess the Gerry Davis stance killed pob14. He hasn't beeen heard from since the 5th of May.

Michael

[Edited by MichaelVA2000 on May 9th, 2004 at 10:24 AM]

LDUB Sat May 08, 2004 09:36pm

Either he died, or he is setting up in the wrong spot and can't see the plate. The game might still be going with all the balls he is calling.

Jim Porter Sat May 08, 2004 11:36pm

He might've taken shots to both his arms and can no longer type.

(Anyone who knows my history with the GD stance might find that a bit humorous.)

DownTownTonyBrown Sun May 09, 2004 12:22am

You definitely get hit more often... got the buises to prove it. But it sure makes for a better view of the game.

tiger49 Sun May 09, 2004 03:03pm

I switched to the GD mid-last year. Now I find I do get hit more but often where I have protection ie. mask, chest and shoulders, but never on the arms.

kylejt Mon May 10, 2004 01:17am

I've used it the last three weeks, and have been blasted on both arms. Switched to dropping my hands down behind my knees during delivery to see if this helps.

I think I'll back to working from a knee.

Carl Childress Mon May 10, 2004 01:32am

Quote:

Originally posted by kylejt
I've used it the last three weeks, and have been blasted on both arms. Switched to dropping my hands down behind my knees during delivery to see if this helps.

I think I'll back to working from a knee.

You're defeating the number one advantage of the GD stance; that is, your skeleton supports a set position rather than the standing set, which creates the fatigue.

Keep at it. Your successes will far outweigh a few smacks. Of course, I have a long-sleeve, loose-fitting UnderArmour, which masks the forearm guards I use. Someone said I was a wimp for using protection, so I tried a game without my mask and....

Jim Porter Mon May 10, 2004 02:39am

Quote:

Originally posted by Carl Childress Of course, I have a long-sleeve, loose-fitting UnderArmour, which masks the forearm guards I use. Someone said I was a wimp for using protection, so I tried a game without my mask and....
The shots I've been taking to my arms have been so painful (stopping the game for 5 minutes to get control back over my arm and let it stop shaking) that I've been considering protection for my forearm up to and including my elbow. Any suggestions, Papa C, on where I might buy such protection and which brand?

Carl Childress Mon May 10, 2004 07:46am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Porter
Quote:

Originally posted by Carl Childress Of course, I have a long-sleeve, loose-fitting UnderArmour, which masks the forearm guards I use. Someone said I was a wimp for using protection, so I tried a game without my mask and....
The shots I've been taking to my arms have been so painful (stopping the game for 5 minutes to get control back over my arm and let it stop shaking) that I've been considering protection for my forearm up to and including my elbow. Any suggestions, Papa C, on where I might buy such protection and which brand?

Jim:

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a pair of youth shin guards (less than $4.00). They cover from the wrist to near the elbow. More and more umpires around the world will switch to the Gerry Davis stance, so I expect some manufacturer to create a special piece of equipment. I'm sure you'll be able to get it at gerrydavis.com. (grin)

Rich Mon May 10, 2004 08:02am

Quote:

Originally posted by Carl Childress
Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Porter
Quote:

Jim:

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a pair of youth shin guards (less than $4.00). They cover from the wrist to near the elbow. More and more umpires around the world will switch to the Gerry Davis stance, so I expect some manufacturer to create a special piece of equipment. I'm sure you'll be able to get it at gerrydavis.com. (grin)

Either that, or umpires will decide to not work the stance.

I worked the GD stance and gave myself quite a bit of time to get used to it -- and I never did. I may try again now that my college schedule is complete and once the HS schedule is over.

I'm sure there are heel-to-toe umpires that feel the same way about the scissors and vice-versa. There is no one "perfect" position for a number of reasons.

I couldn't imagine wearing forearm protection, but then again I know that times change and I certainly wouldn't mock anyone for wearing any protective gear. An umpire that trusts his equipment will umpire better. Me, I just grab the catcher by his chest protector straps when necessary and convert him into a balloon protector.

jicecone Mon May 10, 2004 08:07am

Try the jicecone stance (JS).

Rest your elbows on your knees instead of your hands. You have the same stability, take less of a licking and can keep on ticking.

I haven't quite finished my video on it yet but, mabey but the turn of the decade.

Seriously, it has all the benifits of Mr d's stance, but you sit just a tad lower.

Works for me.

w_sohl Mon May 10, 2004 11:15am

Gerry Davis Stance

what is it?

Carl Childress Mon May 10, 2004 11:26am

Re: Gerry Davis Stance

Quote:

Originally posted by w_sohl
what is it?
Go here http://childress.officiating.com/ and read the articles on Gerry Davis. Go here http://www.officialforum.com/thread/13389 to read an earlier thread.

[Edited by Carl Childress on May 10th, 2004 at 12:28 PM]

jumpmaster Mon May 10, 2004 10:10pm

GD works for me

I started the GD this year after a year away from the game. I tried it for one reason, I didn't feel like I was getting a good lock in at delivery. I really like it and feel that the low and outside pitch is one of my most consistent calls now. However, I did take a shot in the cup when a AAAA Varsity catcher bailed on me and left me hanging...or should I say wimpering...