The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 07:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Art N
Thanks Rich for the tips. I'll work on those next time out. I also had a situation with a runner on first and in the B position, with pick off throws. It seems we are taught to get at least half way between the mound and second base in line with the outter part of mound (roughly). In this position and a quick throw to first, I felt I only had time to pivot and maybe get one step. The runners dives in, the first baseman tags on his back side, but I can't see the hand hit bag because the runner's body is blocking me. I quickly "sold" a safe a call, which had a few groans...lol. I felt the tag had to be high. We were taught that pick offs better be good to call a runner out. We also were taught that ties go to the ump!
I asked my partner an inning or so later, what he saw, and he said he thought he was out! Any tips!
You can only get one step sometimes. They teach three at umpire schools, but then I've watched minor league umpires only getting one in practice, same as me.

Your initial position is halfway between the rubber and second base (in depth) and you should be able to draw a line connecting the edge of the plate to the edge of the mound to a spot between your legs.

If you can only get one step, step with your left foot a big step FORWARD. Pivot on that foot and turn towards first.

The old joke is that it's only an out if the runner has a heart attack on the way back to first base and collapses. That's only slightly true. Actually, I have called outs from B on pickoffs, but you need to be certain that the runner IS out.

Forget about the groans. You'll get these no matter what you call. Your partner has the best view of the play, but it is never appropriate to go to him on a pickoff. NEVER.

--Rich
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

good stuff Rich. I really appreciate the input. I officiate basketball & soccer as well, but this is the first time going through an umpiring course. A clinic or school may be in the future.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2004, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

you guys know that in a 2-man you cannot see everything. If I am PU with multiple runners, I will get a view that allows me to see runner at 3rd, runner coming into 3rd and the pull at first. Can I see all three at once? NO. But seeing runner touch home and seeing pull at first is not difficult to do. So what do you give up? For this reason, your point about leaving the play at first to the BU and worrying about your primary responsibilities is something to consider.

In our pre-game we discuss that help will be given on a pull if requested. Maybe this is something I need to reconsider.

BZ, I like you suggestion on the yes for out and no for safe. Consistency with check swing is a great point. Thanks
Old Mon Apr 19, 2004, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

I would not expect the BU to be watching the plays at 1B unless there is no other play for him to watch.