Thread: Steppin on toes
View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 07:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Art N
Thanks Rich for the tips. I'll work on those next time out. I also had a situation with a runner on first and in the B position, with pick off throws. It seems we are taught to get at least half way between the mound and second base in line with the outter part of mound (roughly). In this position and a quick throw to first, I felt I only had time to pivot and maybe get one step. The runners dives in, the first baseman tags on his back side, but I can't see the hand hit bag because the runner's body is blocking me. I quickly "sold" a safe a call, which had a few groans...lol. I felt the tag had to be high. We were taught that pick offs better be good to call a runner out. We also were taught that ties go to the ump!
I asked my partner an inning or so later, what he saw, and he said he thought he was out! Any tips!
You can only get one step sometimes. They teach three at umpire schools, but then I've watched minor league umpires only getting one in practice, same as me.

Your initial position is halfway between the rubber and second base (in depth) and you should be able to draw a line connecting the edge of the plate to the edge of the mound to a spot between your legs.

If you can only get one step, step with your left foot a big step FORWARD. Pivot on that foot and turn towards first.

The old joke is that it's only an out if the runner has a heart attack on the way back to first base and collapses. That's only slightly true. Actually, I have called outs from B on pickoffs, but you need to be certain that the runner IS out.

Forget about the groans. You'll get these no matter what you call. Your partner has the best view of the play, but it is never appropriate to go to him on a pickoff. NEVER.

--Rich