The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 10:21am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
46. A base umpire collides with a base runner.

I couldn't find a rules reference to support either answer. Don't necessarily need to give me the answer, just the rules reference so that I can find it out myself.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
46. A base umpire collides with a base runner.

I couldn't find a rules reference to support either answer. Don't necessarily need to give me the answer, just the rules reference so that I can find it out myself.
I don't have it here, but try 2-interference, including any cross-references.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 10:44am
I drank what?

Looked it up but it only refers to the umpire interfering witht he catcher or a live ball, not a runner.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
Looked it up but it only refers to the umpire interfering witht he catcher or a live ball, not a runner.
So what does that tell you ... ?

Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 02:00pm
I drank what?

I hate these tests, I am always looking for something that specifically mentions what is asked in the question.

So it would be safe for me to assume that it is the runners responsibility to avoid the umpire at all times, even though we are still doing the best job we can to stay out of their way while obtaining the best position to make a call?
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

It is rule 2-21-2. It is umpire interference only when he hinders a catcher's attempt to throw, or when a fair batter ball or a thrown ball contacts an umpire.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 05:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
It is rule 2-21-2. It is umpire interference only when he hinders a catcher's attempt to throw, or when a fair batter ball or a thrown ball contacts an umpire.
also if the ball lodges in the umpires equipment. see 5-1-1g

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

When an umpire interferes with a runner it's "Tough Sh**". Umpires can only interfere with the catcher (providing he is attempting to throw out a runner) and with a batted ball (base umpire) before it goes past a fielder other than the pitcher.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

I once worked with a base ump who called interference on himself because F6 had to throw around him on the tail end of a double play. He called BR out even though he beat the throw.

The offense complained (big surprise), so we conferred and he reversed his call. The defense didn't say anything.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, bad mechanics and the base ump and a round of beers on him that night!!!
Old Sat Mar 06, 2004, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
Quote:
That is NOT interference. This section of the FED rule book pertains to live/dead balls and the rule you refer to just makes it an immediate dead ball with bases awarded.

As others have noted there are ONLY two types of umpire interference:

1. PU interferes with the catcher while the catcher is attempting to throw a runner out.

2. BU is in the B/C position and is hit by a fair batted ball that has not been touched by the pitcher.

ANY other instances are just plain bad mechanics or something else screwy happens.

In twenty years of umpiring I had never witnessed BU interference until last year when it happened twice during the HS season. In both cases my BUs were in the C position and a hard hit liner hit the ground in front of them and then took a wicked bounce. Talk about chagrin on their faces. They both bought me dinner. ;o]

Now to another related subject; ever have BU partners that straddle the foul line when in the A position? Break them of this habit and get them completely into foul territory. I use the analogy of what would happen if the portion of their body in fair territory is hit by a batted ball. The ball can ricochet or stop and the defense may still be able to make a play on the BR. In any event the BU may be taking an extra base hit away from the batter and he WILL hear about it from the offense's coach AND will rightfully have to eat some crow as he is being dressed down by that coach.

U007
Old Sat Mar 06, 2004, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by umpyre007
Quote:
Quote:
That is NOT interference. This section of the FED rule book pertains to live/dead balls and the rule you refer to just makes it an immediate dead ball with bases awarded.

Yes, it IS interference. Note that 2-21-2 (Umpire interference) specifically refers to 5-1-1g as an example of interference.

Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 11:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by umpyre007
Quote:
Quote:

As others have noted there are ONLY two types of umpire interference:

1. PU interferes with the catcher while the catcher is attempting to throw a runner out.

2. BU is in the B/C position and is hit by a fair batted ball that has not been touched by the pitcher.

ANY other instances are just plain bad mechanics or something else screwy happens.

In twenty years of umpiring I had never witnessed BU interference until last year when it happened twice during the HS season. In both cases my BUs were in the C position and a hard hit liner hit the ground in front of them and then took a wicked bounce. Talk about chagrin on their faces. They both bought me dinner. ;o]

Now to another related subject; ever have BU partners that straddle the foul line when in the A position? Break them of this habit and get them completely into foul territory. I use the analogy of what would happen if the portion of their body in fair territory is hit by a batted ball. The ball can ricochet or stop and the defense may still be able to make a play on the BR. In any event the BU may be taking an extra base hit away from the batter and he WILL hear about it from the offense's coach AND will rightfully have to eat some crow as he is being dressed down by that coach.

U007
1. In FED this is considered umpire interference (it was a Part I question -- see Bob's citations) and
2. Umpires in the American League straddled the line for decades. There are much bigger things to worry about. I couldn't imagine telling a partner something so trivial. I certainly wouldn't alter my mechanics like this just to make a partner happy.

--Rich