View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 06, 2004, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
It is rule 2-21-2. It is umpire interference only when he hinders a catcher's attempt to throw, or when a fair batter ball or a thrown ball contacts an umpire.
also if the ball lodges in the umpires equipment. see 5-1-1g
That is NOT interference. This section of the FED rule book pertains to live/dead balls and the rule you refer to just makes it an immediate dead ball with bases awarded.

As others have noted there are ONLY two types of umpire interference:

1. PU interferes with the catcher while the catcher is attempting to throw a runner out.

2. BU is in the B/C position and is hit by a fair batted ball that has not been touched by the pitcher.

ANY other instances are just plain bad mechanics or something else screwy happens.

In twenty years of umpiring I had never witnessed BU interference until last year when it happened twice during the HS season. In both cases my BUs were in the C position and a hard hit liner hit the ground in front of them and then took a wicked bounce. Talk about chagrin on their faces. They both bought me dinner. ;o]

Now to another related subject; ever have BU partners that straddle the foul line when in the A position? Break them of this habit and get them completely into foul territory. I use the analogy of what would happen if the portion of their body in fair territory is hit by a batted ball. The ball can ricochet or stop and the defense may still be able to make a play on the BR. In any event the BU may be taking an extra base hit away from the batter and he WILL hear about it from the offense's coach AND will rightfully have to eat some crow as he is being dressed down by that coach.

U007