The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 23, 2018, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Wholeheartedly agree with your thinking. I'm wondering if NFHS has clarified what option C means as far as how we enforce this. If they don't mean to issue an automatic strike with JUST a raised hand then I'm not sure why they even included it since one or both feet out of the box would be enough.
It's included so you don't balk a pitcher who stops his delivery due to a raised hand. I agree if it doesn't affect the pitcher we would just call the pitch.
Old Thu May 24, 2018, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

My only issue with some of these threads "calling it how it is", is after the play is done, the coach comes out and cites the rule book. "It clearly states here that a strike is to be called". So am i supposed to say "it's badly written rule" ? A bad rule is still a rule, so if it is a clear statement of penalty (i.e. "A strike shall be called). NFHS only here. I would have a hard time arguing my case with a coach asking about what just happened....

But thats why i read all these forum posts Live and learn from the best.
Old Thu May 24, 2018, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSBAL18 View Post
My only issue with some of these threads "calling it how it is", is after the play is done, the coach comes out and cites the rule book. "It clearly states here that a strike is to be called". So am i supposed to say "it's badly written rule" ? A bad rule is still a rule, so if it is a clear statement of penalty (i.e. "A strike shall be called). NFHS only here. I would have a hard time arguing my case with a coach asking about what just happened....

But thats why i read all these forum posts Live and learn from the best.
The NFHS
case play says "if a pitch is delivered a strike shall be called"
Old Thu May 24, 2018, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
The NFHS
case play says "if a pitch is delivered a strike shall be called"
That's how I read it yet many umpires disagree OR refuse to call it. I'll call it if it's the intent of the rule unless someone shows us an interp that says differently.
Old Fri May 25, 2018, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
That's how I read it yet many umpires disagree OR refuse to call it. I'll call it if it's the intent of the rule unless someone shows us an interp that says differently.
The intent of the rule is to prevent you balking a pitcher for stopping if the batter holds his hand up. Pitcher comes set, batter holds hand up, you say no as pitcher delivers, batter swings and hits pitch. Are you going to call that a strike?
Old Tue May 29, 2018, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

If the pitcher HESITATED because of the batter holding up his hands, that could cause his rhythm to be out of place and he throws one down the middle instead of high (example). So yes, if i think the pitcher hesitated in any way because the batter put his hand up (per rule), i would call that hit back and give the batter a strike.

However, i await Bob J or Rich I input, as i tend to following what they teach
Old Tue May 29, 2018, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSBAL18 View Post
If the pitcher HESITATED because of the batter holding up his hands, that could cause his rhythm to be out of place and he throws one down the middle instead of high (example). So yes, if i think the pitcher hesitated in any way because the batter put his hand up (per rule), i would call that hit back and give the batter a strike.

However, i await Bob J or Rich I input, as i tend to following what they teach
And if you were doing your job as per the rule everyone would know it was not a batted ball because you were calling time as the pitcher hesitated. But what if the well trained pitcher did not even blink and threw a pitch that the batter hit into a ground out? Are you calling time then and applying the rule literally. Sorry guys, that's not an out it's just a strike?
Old Wed May 30, 2018, 06:01am
Official & ***** Member

Saw an old YouTube clip just last night of a MLB hitter who did just that -- held up his hand, started to step out, realized that "Time" wouldn't be granted, & got back in & got a hit.