The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 23, 2018, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Wholeheartedly agree with your thinking. I'm wondering if NFHS has clarified what option C means as far as how we enforce this. If they don't mean to issue an automatic strike with JUST a raised hand then I'm not sure why they even included it since one or both feet out of the box would be enough.
It's included so you don't balk a pitcher who stops his delivery due to a raised hand. I agree if it doesn't affect the pitcher we would just call the pitch.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2018, 11:51am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 89
My only issue with some of these threads "calling it how it is", is after the play is done, the coach comes out and cites the rule book. "It clearly states here that a strike is to be called". So am i supposed to say "it's badly written rule" ? A bad rule is still a rule, so if it is a clear statement of penalty (i.e. "A strike shall be called). NFHS only here. I would have a hard time arguing my case with a coach asking about what just happened....

But thats why i read all these forum posts Live and learn from the best.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2018, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSBAL18 View Post
My only issue with some of these threads "calling it how it is", is after the play is done, the coach comes out and cites the rule book. "It clearly states here that a strike is to be called". So am i supposed to say "it's badly written rule" ? A bad rule is still a rule, so if it is a clear statement of penalty (i.e. "A strike shall be called). NFHS only here. I would have a hard time arguing my case with a coach asking about what just happened....

But thats why i read all these forum posts Live and learn from the best.
The NFHS
case play says "if a pitch is delivered a strike shall be called"
__________________
Rich Ives
Different does not equate to wrong
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2018, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
The NFHS
case play says "if a pitch is delivered a strike shall be called"
That's how I read it yet many umpires disagree OR refuse to call it. I'll call it if it's the intent of the rule unless someone shows us an interp that says differently.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old Fri May 25, 2018, 08:41am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
That's how I read it yet many umpires disagree OR refuse to call it. I'll call it if it's the intent of the rule unless someone shows us an interp that says differently.
The intent of the rule is to prevent you balking a pitcher for stopping if the batter holds his hand up. Pitcher comes set, batter holds hand up, you say no as pitcher delivers, batter swings and hits pitch. Are you going to call that a strike?
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 29, 2018, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 89
If the pitcher HESITATED because of the batter holding up his hands, that could cause his rhythm to be out of place and he throws one down the middle instead of high (example). So yes, if i think the pitcher hesitated in any way because the batter put his hand up (per rule), i would call that hit back and give the batter a strike.

However, i await Bob J or Rich I input, as i tend to following what they teach
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 29, 2018, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSBAL18 View Post
If the pitcher HESITATED because of the batter holding up his hands, that could cause his rhythm to be out of place and he throws one down the middle instead of high (example). So yes, if i think the pitcher hesitated in any way because the batter put his hand up (per rule), i would call that hit back and give the batter a strike.

However, i await Bob J or Rich I input, as i tend to following what they teach
And if you were doing your job as per the rule everyone would know it was not a batted ball because you were calling time as the pitcher hesitated. But what if the well trained pitcher did not even blink and threw a pitch that the batter hit into a ground out? Are you calling time then and applying the rule literally. Sorry guys, that's not an out it's just a strike?
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 30, 2018, 06:01am
CT1 CT1 is offline
Official & ***** Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,049
Saw an old YouTube clip just last night of a MLB hitter who did just that -- held up his hand, started to step out, realized that "Time" wouldn't be granted, & got back in & got a hit.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fast pitch - batter "catches" the pitch Dakota Softball 16 Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:06am
Batter Steps Out of Box w/o Requesting Time... andrewm Baseball 10 Mon Jun 16, 2008 08:19pm
Runners requesting time BlitzkriegBob Softball 59 Mon Apr 30, 2007 09:32am
Batter hit by pitch?? Stair-Climber Softball 5 Sat Jun 17, 2006 06:53pm
Requesting a Time-Out after a made basket PGCougar Basketball 25 Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:36am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1