The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 03, 2017, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

appeal play

Situation:
No outs, R3 on third (no other runners on base). Fly ball to F8, R3 apparently tags up and scores. Defense wants to appeal the tag up. F1 engages the pitching plate (with ball and no time out had been called), and without disengaging, steps and throws over to third, but throw goes over F5's head and rolls against fence.
What's the proper call?
Does pitcher have to disengage to make a proper appeal play (because he can't legally throw to an unoccupied base)?
Would the call be different in mlb vs high school?
Thanks in advance
Old Sat Jun 03, 2017, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
Situation:
No outs, R3 on third (no other runners on base). Fly ball to F8, R3 apparently tags up and scores. Defense wants to appeal the tag up. F1 engages the pitching plate (with ball and no time out had been called), and without disengaging, steps and throws over to third, but throw goes over F5's head and rolls against fence.
What's the proper call?
Does pitcher have to disengage to make a proper appeal play (because he can't legally throw to an unoccupied base)?
Thanks in advance
There's no call yet...you have a live ball. They could still get it back to third and make an appeal.

No, he doesn't have to engage, because there is an exception for the purpose of appealing (or making a play.)

No, it would not be different.
Old Sat Jun 03, 2017, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Situation:
What's the proper call?
Thanks in advance
This call would be no different in HS or MLB. There are differences in other cases.
Old Sat Jun 03, 2017, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
There's no call yet...you have a live ball. They could still get it back to third and make an appeal.

No, he doesn't have to engage, because there is an exception for the purpose of appealing (or making a play.)

No, it would not be different.
Would be the same in any OBR=based rule set like LL.
Old Sat Jun 03, 2017, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
This call would be no different in HS or MLB. There are differences in other cases.
Huh?
Old Sat Jun 03, 2017, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Huh?
Just pointing out that FED, OBR, NCAA have differences in the appeal process that are not applicable in the OP.
Old Sun Jun 04, 2017, 05:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
F1 engages the pitching plate (with ball and no time out had been called),
Just pointing out that this action of engaging the rubber and throwing is NOT required if the ball remains live. Just get the ball to third. (It doesn't affect the ruling)
Old Mon Jun 05, 2017, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

When I was doing HS in 90's and 00's I seemed to recall them having some different appeal process (or no appeal at all). I believe for a time, the umpire would just make a dead ball call, like "runner left early" - had a guy who loved to make that call and then I think for a while there might of been just a verbal appeal where you didnt have to throw it.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2017, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
When I was doing HS in 90's and 00's I seemed to recall them having some different appeal process (or no appeal at all). I believe for a time, the umpire would just make a dead ball call, like "runner left early" - had a guy who loved to make that call and then I think for a while there might of been just a verbal appeal where you didnt have to throw it.
Yep - there was a time the umpires just called it. No appeal of any kind.

FED allows verbal dead ball appeals now. plus the "normal" way.