The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Question

I've seen an NCAA interp for this situation, but was wondering if OBR would be the same. R1 & R3, 1 out. B1 flies out to F9 and both runners advance. R3 does not tag up, scores, and R1 ends up on third. R1 requests time after sliding into third. Once the ball is back on the hill, the defense requests an appeal, but before the pitcher can throw the ball to third, R1 breaks for home. The pitcher throws out R1 for the third out. However, according the NCAA interp, the defense can still appeal R3 not tagging up because the offense intitiated the intervening play. Does this also apply to OBR? If you need a better description, look on the NCAA champadmin site. It's in one of the short info sheets in the umpire information area.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

The NCAA interpertation is similar to the FED. If the offense initiates a play and the defense plays on it, the defense can still appeal.

Under OBR however, if the defense makes any attempt to play on the runner, this cancels the right to appeal.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 09:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by JCurrie
I've seen an NCAA interp for this situation, but was wondering if OBR would be the same. R1 & R3, 1 out. B1 flies out to F9 and both runners advance. R3 does not tag up, scores, and R1 ends up on third. R1 requests time after sliding into third. Once the ball is back on the hill, the defense requests an appeal, but before the pitcher can throw the ball to third, R1 breaks for home. The pitcher throws out R1 for the third out. However, according the NCAA interp, the defense can still appeal R3 not tagging up because the offense intitiated the intervening play. Does this also apply to OBR? If you need a better description, look on the NCAA champadmin site. It's in one of the short info sheets in the umpire information area.
No. In OBR, ANY play kills the appeal, no matter who initiates it.

--Rich
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
I don't care about the appeal. I want to sign up to be R1's agent. He went to third on a caught fly to right? Now that's world class speed!
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Quote:
I don't care about the appeal. I want to sign up to be R1's agent. He went to third on a caught fly to right? Now that's world class speed!
Priceless. I was actually wondering how R1 could end up on 3B also. I am also wondering how the defense could not appeal R3 leaving early, and be prepared to throw out the new R3, if he choses to go home. More likely, if the pitcher toed the rubber to get the "play" call from the PU, R3 would be very near 3B when this happened.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Seems to me the defense would be smart to just toss it over to 3B and ask for the appeal. Ump says R3 (original) is out and nothing that the new R3 does would be meaningful. Down side to that is if the defense was wrong (or blue is a smitty and does not really know) then the new R3 could end up scoring as well.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.