The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 29, 2017, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Player not moving towards the base

Tourney is using OBR, the last tournament pitcher picks to the 3B, standing 8 feet from the 3rd base bag, catches the ball and doesnt make a move towards 3B, balk called.

Does that same rule apply at 2B? Or because second is not a required throw, where you throw it and what that fielders subsequent moves dont matter? Team we were playing last night their P threw to the second baseman on two occasions who never broke towards the bag and wasnt really that close and my asst coach asked me if that was a balk and I said I didnt think so at 2B because he is not even required to throw.
Old Mon May 29, 2017, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
Tourney is using OBR, the last tournament pitcher picks to the 3B, standing 8 feet from the 3rd base bag, catches the ball and doesnt make a move towards 3B, balk called.

Does that same rule apply at 2B? Or because second is not a required throw, where you throw it and what that fielders subsequent moves dont matter? Team we were playing last night their P threw to the second baseman on two occasions who never broke towards the bag and wasn't really that close and my asst coach asked me if that was a balk and I said I didn't think so at 2B because he is not even required to throw.
You are correct. The same rule does NOT apply at 2B because no throw is required to 2B.
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 06:20am
Official & ***** Member

I don't understand that logic. True, he's not required to throw, but if he does, he must do it legally.
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
I don't understand that logic. True, he's not required to throw, but if he does, he must do it legally.
He is throwing legally. There's no requirement to throw TO THE BASE as there is at first (all codes) and third (OBR and others that have adopted the rule)