The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Player on base gets hit with batted ball

Came up in my association meeting tonight. 2nd and 3rd, one out, infield is in normal positions. BR hits a high pop fly on the 3rd base line. R3 remains on the bag, and the ball is settling under him. The pop-up comes down and lands right on R3's head, who is still on the bag. What do you have?

BTW...umpire called R3 out for getting hit with a live ball.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
The runner is not afforded protection from interference by being hit with a batted ball while in contact with a base except for the IFF. Now, had the fielder contacted the runner as he was attempting to make the play, absent an intentional act to committ interference the runner would be protected.

From the MLBUM

6.5 RUNNER INTERFERES WHILE IN CONTACT WITH BASE

If a runner has contact with a legally occupied base when he hinders a fielder attempting to make a play on a batted ball, the runner shall not be called out unless, in the umpire's judgment, such hindrance, whether it occurs on fair or foul territory, is intentional. If the umpire declares the hindrance intentional, the following penalty shall apply: With less than two out, the umpire shall declare both the runner and batter out. With two out, the umpire shall declare the batter out.

See Casebook Comments to Official Baseball Rule 7.08(b).

Tim.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

You also have a runner who should have pressed his foot against the outside of the bag and kept the rest of himself in foul territory!
There is a reason coaches attend rules meetings as well (FED) and should know the book inside and out (every other level).
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

What Tim said.

Also take into account if the ball has passed F5 or not.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Take into consideration if B5 squares to bunt with R3 on third, F5 charges but the bunted ball sails over F5 in the air and then strikes R3 while standing on the base, is he out?

I guess this is what bossman was mentioning, R3 would be safe since ball pass the fielder, correct?
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I think it's going to be pretty hard to not transfer the protection to F6 on this play and call R3 out.

Tim.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Player on base gets hit with batted ball.

I have the player out. Being in fair territory or in foul ground is the determining factor here, whether or not they are touching the base. Infield Fly, batter is out, then the player is protected, as runners advance at their own risk.
I think once it passes an infielder, the runner is protected. I don't believe it has to pass all infielders.

Last edited by bsk713; Thu Apr 27, 2006 at 06:43am.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irefky
Take into consideration if B5 squares to bunt with R3 on third, F5 charges but the bunted ball sails over F5 in the air and then strikes R3 while standing on the base, is he out?

I guess this is what bossman was mentioning, R3 would be safe since ball pass the fielder, correct?
did another fielder have a play on the ball?
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

a. yes, F6 came over to field the ball in front of R3

b. no
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Thought I knew this one, but now...I am confused.

If a runner has contact with a legally occupied base when he hinders a fielder attempting to make a play on a batted ball, the runner shall not be called out unless, in the umpire's judgment, such hindrance, whether it occurs on fair or foul territory, is intentional.

So, if R3 is making every effort to bend, twist, step out out of the way of the fielder...and somehow a twisting, windblown batted ball strikes R3....he is not out.

But absent that type of effort, he is out?

So just standing there like a statue is "intentional"....and ducking over, not even trying to follow the ball is "intentional"?

Does this sound about right?

Thanks!
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcramer
Thought I knew this one, but now...I am confused.

If a runner has contact with a legally occupied base when he hinders a fielder attempting to make a play on a batted ball, the runner shall not be called out unless, in the umpire's judgment, such hindrance, whether it occurs on fair or foul territory, is intentional.

So, if R3 is making every effort to bend, twist, step out out of the way of the fielder...and somehow a twisting, windblown batted ball strikes R3....he is not out.

But absent that type of effort, he is out?

So just standing there like a statue is "intentional"....and ducking over, not even trying to follow the ball is "intentional"?

Does this sound about right?

Thanks!
Not correct.

As always, there's a difference between "interfering" with the ball and "interfering" with the fielder.

Unless it's an infield fly, the base is never protection from "interfering" with the ball..

The base is protection from "interfering" with the fielder, unless it's intentional.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Got it now.

Thank you, Bob!
Old Fri Apr 28, 2006, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsk713
Being in fair territory or in foul ground is the determining factor here, whether or not they are touching the base.
Shouldn't that be, "the ball being in fair territory or in foul ground is the determining factor..."

You can have a kid with his left foot squarely on the bag at 3rd, and the ball still hit him on the head in foul territory. This player is not out. The determining factor should be where the ball was when it hit the player, not where the player was!
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

YES, I concur. The ball is the determining factor, and if the player is in foul territory and the ball hits them there, they are ok. And if the player is hit in fair territory, they are out.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
Came up in my association meeting tonight. 2nd and 3rd, one out, infield is in normal positions. BR hits a high pop fly on the 3rd base line. R3 remains on the bag, and the ball is settling under him. The pop-up comes down and lands right on R3's head, who is still on the bag. What do you have?

BTW...umpire called R3 out for getting hit with a live ball.
R3 is out - give the umpire a cigar!