The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 04, 2017, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Jewelry?

NFHS rule 3.1(d) states "A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not.... wear jewelry.

should i take this rule absolutely for any and all jewelry? no stud earrings, no necklackes (chain or rope?) etc? I know a pitcher having dangling chains is distruptive to the batter, but any batter that approaches the plate wearing jewelry should be warned?
Old Tue Apr 04, 2017, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSBAL18 View Post
NFHS rule 3.1(d) states "A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not.... wear jewelry.

should i take this rule absolutely for any and all jewelry? no stud earrings, no necklackes (chain or rope?) etc? I know a pitcher having dangling chains is distruptive to the batter, but any batter that approaches the plate wearing jewelry should be warned?
What jewelry? I don't see any jewelry!
(Earrings are an exception. Everyone sees earrings and "dangling chains") nip this in the bud during warm ups and pre game.

Does any one tell their partner, who looks like he's going to the club, "take off your jewelry"?

Had a partner who's pet peeve was jewelry. If he even seen a clasp, he would stop the game, call out the coach and make it a spectacle.

Don't be that guy.

I always tell my "significant other", "search and you shall find".
Old Tue Apr 04, 2017, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yes, I think it should be taken absolutely, with the noted exceptions of medical alert items and religious medallions, properly taped down. But HOW you do it is absolutely a matter of tact and game management.

Bands and little wrist bracelets? A simple stop and 'take that off' can suffice, they can put it in their pocket. A necklace? If not out and obvious, a quiet word can work. The other day, the very first batter came up with a gold necklace. I could have stopped the game and been 'that guy', but what I did was just quietly say "I assume that's a religious medallion, properly taped down, right?"..."Oh..yes, sir". Me: "Perhaps if it isn't, it won't be there next inning?"...[smiling, since got the point]"No, I don't think it will be". He batted, he took it off later, life went on. Earrings? That's one I am stopping to make him take off...but other than that or repeat offenses, there's a time/place/manner to handle without being 'that guy'.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2017, 07:07am
Official & ***** Member

Before the game, we always ask an assistant coach to "make sure they've got their chains off." At the plate conference, both coaches are required to verify that all players are properly equipped, including jewelry.

If a player comes to the plate with a chain after all that, then yes, I make a show of having him take it off. One is all it takes.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2017, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did they change that rule? I think it used to only be "those participating in the game" or similar -- there was even a case where a player would put on jewelry in the dugout, and then remove it when he went o n defense in the next inning.

I would frequently use the line "take that off before I see it" -- until it got to be "too many" times and then I'd get to the coach and then issue a warning.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2017, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Technically, by those words, this means your 3rd base coach must take off his or her wedding rings.

Is this really what they want?

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Apr 06, 2017, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Participating in game

Bob J was right (big surprise). I did not see "participating in game" when i read it the first time, so the questions regarding coaches/etc are not included in the rule.

Thanks for the clarification and ways to approach it without making a big scene.