The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Hate to sound like an old hag, but with the "new blood" coming into umpiring now Jewelry is becoming a factor. Would like to know how UIC's out there are handling it. Or any opinions for that matter. My 2 cent opinion is it is hardly professional to have Umps with ear rings, and face/tongue piercings come to do a game. All the while we are enforcing NO jewelry in our leagues.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

You are right: it can't be professional wearing earrings. And you couldn't go to players pretending to enforce 'no jewelry' rule if you wear it on your own.
That's why I put away my 5 (five) earring each and every time before a game... (serious).

A.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Seattle Metro

The only jewelry we're allowed are wedding rings. I've been the recipient numerous times of "take your damn earrings out" from the site UIC. To be honest, I just plainly forget about them, not that I'm trying to change the style or culture. I take them out when I remember (or am reminded). No problems.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Agreed...the "do as I say, not as I do" thing just doesn't work well with the jewelry. I only wear a wedding band and another ring that I got from work, but the only thing that is on when I work a game is the wedding band.

And that's only because I know that if I take it off, my cell phone will ring immediately and my wife will demand to know why I am not wearing my wedding band!
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that wedding bands should be the only jewelry we, as umpires, wear during games we work. I think any additional jewelry worn by umpires looks very unprofessional.
Thanks,
Sam
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

I differ

My association dicourages it, but no penalty. I wear a diamond stud in left ear, not some big hoop, or one of those stupid tongue "balls" that I see these guys jerk themselfs with.
However, I'm not sliding into base or diving for flys, or getting tagged with a leather glove.......as long as it's small, big deal
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 05:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
And that's only because I know that if I take it off, my cell phone will ring immediately and my wife will demand to know why I am not wearing my wedding band!
Before I take off my wedding ring I always turn off my cell phone first!!!

The moment I enter the dressroom at the club, or a room where we umpires are welcomed by the club my cell phone is out. I won't be disturbed when concentrating before a game.

I take off the ring because a ball on a finger can break it. Then the medics will cut the ring off... That's no worth it, a small thing to do is taking the ring off. Even at work I don't wear it, wearing jewelry is not done in the dutch chemical process-industry!

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?