Thread: Jewelry?
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 04, 2017, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSBAL18 View Post
NFHS rule 3.1(d) states "A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not.... wear jewelry.

should i take this rule absolutely for any and all jewelry? no stud earrings, no necklackes (chain or rope?) etc? I know a pitcher having dangling chains is distruptive to the batter, but any batter that approaches the plate wearing jewelry should be warned?
Yes, I think it should be taken absolutely, with the noted exceptions of medical alert items and religious medallions, properly taped down. But HOW you do it is absolutely a matter of tact and game management.

Bands and little wrist bracelets? A simple stop and 'take that off' can suffice, they can put it in their pocket. A necklace? If not out and obvious, a quiet word can work. The other day, the very first batter came up with a gold necklace. I could have stopped the game and been 'that guy', but what I did was just quietly say "I assume that's a religious medallion, properly taped down, right?"..."Oh..yes, sir". Me: "Perhaps if it isn't, it won't be there next inning?"...[smiling, since got the point]"No, I don't think it will be". He batted, he took it off later, life went on. Earrings? That's one I am stopping to make him take off...but other than that or repeat offenses, there's a time/place/manner to handle without being 'that guy'.