The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 10:50am
Stop staring at me swan.

The best sunglasses

To those of you who choose to wear sunglasses while umpiring, I've been reading about all types. Polarized lenses seem overpriced and unnecessary for what we need as umpires. I'm intrigued by a golf lens, lots of our work deals with settings similar to that on a golf course (white ball in the air, green grass and surroundings, etc)...the golf lens is also $60 less than the most expensive polarized lens. $140 vs $200 for the brand that starts w/ an "O".

Is this a case, of the most expensive, not necessarily being the best choice?

This thread is not intended to debate whether or not an umpire should wear sunglasses. Rather, those who do, what is working for you outside of the $20pair of gas station shades that I'm currently wearing? Is it worth it to spend a large amount of money on sunglasses?

Please weigh in.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

My polarized glasses sure cut the glare on the water while I am fishing though. I don't golf much so I can't help you. I wear my glasses for more than just umpiring.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

I like the Oakley M frame, with the black slate Iridium sweep lens that's vented at the top. They fit my face well, will fit under my mask, and won't steam up or flop around when I run. I've got another pair with the VR28 lens for twilight work.

But I'm biased, because I like the company.

Years ago, a guy I trained with had a small Oakley sponsorship, to go along with the employment he got from his bicycle racing team. After a dismal racing season, of not feeling up to par, he was diagnosed with cancer. It had spread throughout his body, and the outlook wasn't good. Treatment was possible, but his then employer bailed out on his health care (effing French). Oakley stepped up, and made him an employee. Their healthcare provider balked, but Oakley threatened to pull it's deal if this guy didn't get covered. In the end, the guy pulled through, and ended up winning seven Tour de Frances in a row. Oakley never grandstanded what they did, they just did it.

Also, what they do for the military is just outstanding. The high prices you and I pay for sunglasses subsidises what the guys on the ground get in the Middle East. They're good guys.

(end of sappy story)

Last edited by kylejt; Sat Mar 07, 2009 at 11:50am.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 11:59am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie24 View Post
My polarized glasses sure cut the glare on the water while I am fishing though. I don't golf much so I can't help you. I wear my glasses for more than just umpiring.
Have you tried non-polarized lenses while umpiring? Certainly the polarized work very well for fishing...I think that's their main function right?...I've read that the polarized can cause issues if you have to quickly look back and forth...have you experienced any of those issues?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by johnnyg08; Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 12:05pm.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

It depends who you ask. I can't say that I have had any issues. I love the clarity that they provide. If you ask some of the coaches, they totally cloud my judgment. I can't see anything. Some coaches say they might as well be blinders.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 01:03pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie24 View Post
It depends who you ask. I can't say that I have had any issues. I love the clarity that they provide. If you ask some of the coaches, they totally cloud my judgment. I can't see anything. Some coaches say they might as well be blinders.
isn't that the truth...unless of course they win..."Great game, great game!"
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Personally I think you should go with what is comfortable for you. What helps with eye fatigue. What helps you see the best. I don't think that there is a single correct answer.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

I have used both Polarized and Non-Polarized...

lenses on the diamond. I like both but I think the non-polarized are better. For some reason whenever I look at anything black with polarized I get a weird refraction. I cannot explain what it is but only black does it. I did not like that as a lot of teams wear black now, my college association wears black as the primary color for shirts and hats and now high school wears it a lot. Not a big deal but I noticed the difference.

I wear contacts so the sunglasses are a must on sunny days.

I sometimes wear them behind the plate when sun is going down in outfield.

I wear Oakley Half-Jacket with XLJ lenses like they give military. I bought mine. I am interested in trying a lighter lens. G-30 or VR-28. I wear Black Iridium right now.

I had M-Frames but they are too wide for my head. I had the kind that did not fold-do not recommend them as they break rather easily.

I have had other brands but none I would recommend higher than the Oakley's. The optics are fantastic in them. They really help me.

By the way, I take them off when discussing calls with coaches. I want them to see my eyes.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 01:18pm
Stop staring at me swan.

The G-30's are the ones that I was interested in trying. Your information about the black w/ polarized lenses is great...as well as the other stuff. Do the half jackets fold?
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Do Half Jackets Fold?

Yes they do. Make sure you get a hard case to put them in when not wearing to protect the lenses and prevent breakage. Oakley's are tough but not indestructible and scratched lenses are worthless for baseball. I got my hardcase at Wally World for $5. Oakley hard/firm case was too expensive for what it was made of and it lets thieves know what they are stealing with all the logos.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

I personally don't like the polarized lenses, but some of the guys I call with swear by them. This is another issue you will probably get a lot of different viewpoints.
I like Oakley's with the amber lenses. I've found that the glare is what bothers me, and these cut the glare for me the same as dark shades. The big advantage, especially when working the plate, is that they actually lighten the sky if a dark cloud appears or the sun starts going down.

I have called with some guys who say they don't want coaches to see their eyes. I don't have a problem with this, and I don't think it looks any different than some of the "blue" or "rainbow" lenses.

I learned to buy a good pair and take care of them instead of a cheap pair. The money I've saved on headache medicine has been worth the initial investment!
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
The G-30's are the ones that I was interested in trying. Your information about the black w/ polarized lenses is great...as well as the other stuff. Do the half jackets fold?
I have one pair of polarized glassed (not real expensive) and when I drive, it appears the windows on my truck have rainbow streaks running across them. I don't know if this is common, or I have just have a bad pair!
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 01:36pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Are the Amber ones, the G-30's? I don't think they are polarized. Are they?

Last edited by johnnyg08; Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 01:47pm.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

This link will take you to Oakley site where...

you will learn more than you ever wanted to know about Oakley and their lenses.

Lens Tints

Hope this helps.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Are the Amber ones, the G-30's? I don't think they are polarized. Are they?
No, they aren't polarized. But sorry, I don't remember the number!

I had a buddy who was interested in amber lenses. He bought a pair that had replaceable lenses in case he wanted the black look. (not sure the brand)

It's a tough choice. I always have the fear of buying a pair I don't like and have to live with!