The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 01:58pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave View Post
you will learn more than you ever wanted to know about Oakley and their lenses.

Lens Tints

Hope this helps.

thanks Major Dave...the site is helpful...along with the opinions on here, I'm leaning toward some version of the G-30's...either the standard or w/ the Iridium...these are all simulated images, which is helpful, but not as good as the personal accounts...
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 01:59pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
No, they aren't polarized. But sorry, I don't remember the number!

I had a buddy who was interested in amber lenses. He bought a pair that had replaceable lenses in case he wanted the black look. (not sure the brand)

It's a tough choice. I always have the fear of buying a pair I don't like and have to live with!
I really don't think polarized is the direction I want to go for baseball...they're more expensive and I'm not convinced that polarized is what I want on a diamond...at least based upon what I'm reading on the Oakley site and from some of the opinions shared on here.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
I've worn these for 5 years. LOVE them. I'm in the polarized camp, and haven't had any distortion issues. These Native glasses (from what I was told when I bought them at Eastern Mountain Sports) were designed for bicycle racers. They have little vents on the top of the frame. Never had a problem with them fogging up, even on 100+ degree days when I'm sweating buckets.

Native Eyewear

You can't buy them off of the Native site, but they will link you to the various retailers that do sell them. I think mine are the Sprint, but I like a couple of the other options, too. There are better descriptions of the glasses on the REI site than found on the Native site, and there are good descriptions of the lenses on the Native site. Hooray for going back and forth between windows. Mine came with regular, clear and yellow lenses, but it looks like they only come with 2 now. Oh well.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

I have the half jackets with three replaceable color lenses. I want to say that it was a "golf package" or something like that. My wife bought the set at sunglass hut and I don't know what it's officially called. It came with the frames, three lens selections (regular grey, fire iridium, and ruby) a couple of cleaning cloths and a nice semi-hard padded case. The set is really nice. I've tried to stay away from the fire ones because they just don't look very good in the middle of the field. The ruby and grey work real well.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Check out the Bolle Vigilantes. I have these in my bag. They are a blade type so they work well under the mask. They also have interchangeable lenses. I love them.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

I wear safety glasses from Northern Tools, about $7.99 per pair, appearance similar to Oakley M Frames. I go through about 2 pair per year.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I go through about 2 pair per year.
I bought my M-Frames in 2000 and wear them regularly for everything from biking (which I don't do anymore) and other sports, to lawn mowing. Since I bought a clear lens a few weeks ago, I'll wear them for even more stuff like woodworking and shooting. I think they cost ~$140, which is only $4 less than what your 2 pair per year would cost you from then through this year.

If that's what you like, then that's great, but I'm just saying that the Oakleys should last you a long time and, as you've demonstrated, have a relatively decent cost.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

I've been using Easton Diamond Flares for the past 5-6 years but only when on the bases. I have both a black lens and a light blue lens pair.

They are only $19.95 so I don't worry about breaking them. I spent top dollar on my West Vest Platinum, my hexpad shorts, my plate shoes, my base shoes, my Honig pants and Honig shirts but I see no need to drop $100-150 on Oakley sunglasses.

Just my two cents.

"I've never questioned the integrity of an umpire. Their eyesight, yes"---Leo Durocher
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

I have 3 pr, all the same. Oakley style lenses, plastic arms, SHATTER PROOF! Not bad for $4 a piece safety glasses.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 08:49pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I would guess the shades are just like getting rid of cotton. once you realize how awesome it is w/o cotton, you'll never go back.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Oakley M-Frame.
I wore them as a player, I wear them as an umpire, and I also wear them as a cyclist. They are expensive, but I'm used to them and they have done me well.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike3UROUT View Post
... but I see no need to drop $100-150 on Oakley sunglasses.
I have no need to drive a Limited Edition Navigator L either. But it's nice to have that choice.

Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
I have no need to drive a Limited Edition Navigator L either. But it's nice to have that choice.
I've got a son that is a freshman in college at a private university so I won't be buying any $120 plus sunglasses that can easily be broken. I'm pretty happy with my '06 Toyota Camry and it's paid off next month. I'm sure Totota would like to see me trade it in for an '09 but I've got other priorities.

I could go buy a big gas guzzling SUV for $40k but it doesn't appeal to me.
Ford/Lincoln is going under because there are not enough guys like you buying big boats. To each his own. Next time buy two.

"I've never questioned the integrity of an umpire. Their eyesight, yes"---Leo Durocher
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

I like to use the Easton Ultra lite Z-blades.. they are cheaper $25 each so if they break no big deal. Tjey also come in a all black, or Orange.

Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Re:

No one has mentioned Nike Optics? They are the official sunglasses of MLB Umpires. They have the best peripheral vision. (Siege Swift Model) And they are not to expensive. A good gunmetal tint for bright days, yellow for overcast and a clear tint if you ever work under bad lights or in a dome. (Don't blast me on PM, I have done it before)

Nike Vision