The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 21, 2016, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

FED- pitch count rule implementation

My state (Indiana) announced they have adopted a pitch count rule for the upcoming season. (120 pitches per game or less depending on number of days rest).
My question is, what additional tasks, if any, will the Umpires be required to do to implement this for their games? Will they be required to tell the coaches when they must pull their pitchers? When a replacement pitcher is put in, does the Umpire need to know the pitch count status of the player?
I was hoping for some input from some of you gentlemen who have worked with a pitch count before.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2016, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
My state (Indiana) announced they have adopted a pitch count rule for the upcoming season. (120 pitches per game or less depending on number of days rest).
My question is, what additional tasks, if any, will the Umpires be required to do to implement this for their games? Will they be required to tell the coaches when they must pull their pitchers? When a replacement pitcher is put in, does the Umpire need to know the pitch count status of the player?
I was hoping for some input from some of you gentlemen who have worked with a pitch count before.
Your state has to answer these things. They are not only responsible for the specific measure, but the implementation as well.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2016, 04:46am
Official Forum Member

In games I work with pitch count requirements, it is up to the coaches to manage this. Umpires do not get involved.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old Sat Oct 22, 2016, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
My state (Indiana) announced they have adopted a pitch count rule for the upcoming season.
Every state has to implement such a count.

Other than that -- there will be little-to-no consistency across the states. The number of pitches, rest days and how it is monitored / reported will all vary by state.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2016, 08:27pm
TODO: creative title here

Absent any specific direction from the local Powers That Be, I'd treat it the same way as I'd treat any other player-eligibility question: If the opposing coach has any reason to think that the pitch-count rule has been violated, I'll tell them to make a note of it and submit a report with the state PTB after the conclusion of the game.