The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 08, 2016, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Moving Up Levels

So I am in my third year of high school officiating. I am starting to work the higher level games with the top varsity coaches. I am finding as each individually gets to know me, they are awfully hard on me in close calls and make mention to the fact that this is a higher level game, suggesting I am not ready (even when the call is right). Is this common? Does this eventually wane as they see me more?
Old Fri Jul 08, 2016, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

First of all, when you enter the higher levels, you will have to ride out the razzing until you prove yourself. We've all been through it.

Second, if you are being told ".... this is a higher level ....." you may be ruling at a less than acceptable level. Watch your strike zone as it lowers with "moving up in the levels". Make sure that you are focusing on the play and not making calls while on the move (except for the front of the DB when in a 2 man system).

Talk with your veteran partners for critiquing to help you along.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2016, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Yes, it will probably wane. But, if I were you, I would not tolerate it. Shut it down.

Edited "post-ozzy6900": Yes, of course, GaryP, continue to improve by analyzing your mistakes, thinking about the right way to do things, and learning from veteran partners, as ozzy6900 suggests. But that does not mean that you have to endure a coach's trashing. I was taught, years ago, that when I crossed that white line onto the field, I was to conduct myself like a 20-year veteran, no matter how raw I was. You moved up because an assigner apparently thought you were ready; if a coach doubts that, let him learn the hard way. IMO, rookies tend to take more garbage than they should, typically because they are hesitant to set and enforce limits and don't want to seem like hard cases.

Last edited by LRZ; Fri Jul 08, 2016 at 03:46pm.
Old Sat Jul 09, 2016, 05:16am
Official & ***** Member

Regardless of the level, coaches are going to test a "new face" to see how much leash they can get. As they see you more often, the comments will lessen.

As mentioned, work hard on your mechanics to make sure you're projecting confidence with your signals and voice. Have your uniform in "state finals" condition. Be approachable without appearing to curry favor.

One technique that helped me when I started to move up was the "Preview Principle." I tried to anticipate what a coach might say to me in a particular situation, and what my response would be.

Good luck!
Old Sat Jul 09, 2016, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Keep at it. If you are a truly top level official, the "word" will get out and you will find yourself having a greater level of respect for your work. Just be professional in looks and attitude, know the rules and how to apply them. It's good to know that the next generation of sport's officials are with us.