The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Anybody happen to see the Milwaukee/Toronto game last night? I just caught the highlights on ESPN. One of the plays they showed was a FT, of all things.

Toronto player shoots FT and misses. Ball comes off rim normally and another Raptor just grabs the rebound uncontested and slams it home.

Why was the rebound so uncontested? B/c the refs allowed the players to line up in the wrong spots along the lane!! The Toronto player was in the low space and the Milwaukee player was in the next space.

Isn't it nice to know that we're not the only ones to get an occasional brain cramp?

Chuck
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Yes, I saw the highlight Chuck, it was funny to see them make that mistake. I think it is also relevant to know how the official handled it. He quickly realized what had happened, wiped off the basket, called a lane violation, and gave them another free throw. You could see him telling the coach that he had messed up, but that this was the only way to handle it.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Anybody happen to see the Milwaukee/Toronto game last night? I just caught the highlights on ESPN. One of the plays they showed was a FT, of all things.

Toronto player shoots FT and misses. Ball comes off rim normally and another Raptor just grabs the rebound uncontested and slams it home.

Why was the rebound so uncontested? B/c the refs allowed the players to line up in the wrong spots along the lane!! The Toronto player was in the low space and the Milwaukee player was in the next space.

Isn't it nice to know that we're not the only ones to get an occasional brain cramp?

Chuck
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Of course we all know NCAA and Fed. don't give us that option. NBA-I forget the teams but, it appeared one team was going to win because the other team needed a three. player dribbled down to the three point arc, stop to shoot, could not get the shot off so he dribbled a again,(double dribble) and official missed it. He missed the shot but they got the rebound and shot and made a three to tie. not good.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 11:45am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Sunday's Blazers - Lakers game, Rueben Patterson of Portland misses the second of two, then soars to the basket, grabs the ball with both hands and stuffs it. Perfectly legal - perfectly embarrassing for the Lakers.

You don't often see the shooter get position for the rebound uncontested.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
8th grade girls' this weekend, A1 shooting 1-and-1, after miss, A2 steps in, rebounds, and makes an easy lay-up while every one else watches. Coach B screams for a time out!!!
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dave Brost
I think the NBA official did the right thing in wiping out the basket, calling a lane violation, and reshooting the free throw.(Although, not sure if NBA is the same rules). In High School, even though we as officials do preventative officiating in making sure that the defense occupies the lowest spot, if we miss it, then it is a violation on the defense for not having occupied this spot. This is a delayed call, so if the free throw is good, no call made. If missed, you make the call and reshoot the FT. This is why preventative officiating of this type can save you a lot of grief later on.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Brost
I think the NBA official did the right thing in wiping out the basket, calling a lane violation, and reshooting the free throw.(Although, not sure if NBA is the same rules). In High School, even though we as officials do preventative officiating in making sure that the defense occupies the lowest spot, if we miss it, then it is a violation on the defense for not having occupied this spot. This is a delayed call, so if the free throw is good, no call made. If missed, you make the call and reshoot the FT. This is why preventative officiating of this type can save you a lot of grief later on.
Not quite, Dave. In NF, this would be a double violation - one for B not occupying the lower block and one for A occupying the lower block. If it's the last shot, go to the arrow.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RX Ref
another ft situation

while lining up for the second 1 and 1-
coach:WHY DOES HE GET 2 Shots!!

me: its 1 and 1, he gets 1 shot AND another if he makes it.

coach: Oh.

this was Boys JV
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Mark-
I am not questioning your answer about being a double violation, but do you have a reference as to the violation on the shooting team player being lined up in the 1st space? All I can find is that it is a violation if the opponent of the shooter is not occupying the 1st (lowest) space? Thanks for your feedback.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Brost
Mark-
I am not questioning your answer about being a double violation, but do you have a reference as to the violation on the shooting team player being lined up in the 1st space? All I can find is that it is a violation if the opponent of the shooter is not occupying the 1st (lowest) space? Thanks for your feedback.
9-1-2: An opponent of the free thrower shall occupy each lane space adjacent to the end line during the try . . . and no teammate of the free thrower may occupy either of these lane spaces.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

And now that I think about it they may have done this in the NBA game that Chuck brought up. I am not sure that they awarded another free throw or went to the arrow. I just remembered the official wiping off the basket and telling the coaches that he had messed up.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Mark-
Thanks for the reference. This is why this site is so helpful. Just when I think I know it all, I don't. lol
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
And now that I think about it they may have done this in the NBA game that Chuck brought up. I am not sure that they awarded another free throw or went to the arrow. I just remembered the official wiping off the basket and telling the coaches that he had messed up.
I didn't think the NBA had the arrow....

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Double violation it is also listed as situation 15
at the NFHS interpt site
Old Wed Feb 20, 2002, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

it is a double violation in the nba as well.