The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 17, 2016, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Fed Balk ruling

I was a spectator (my son was playing) at a home varsity game yesterday. HP was a guy I had never worked with before but for the first 2 or 3 innings both he and his partner seemed to know their stuff (consistent zone, good communication with each other etc.).
Around the 3rd inning visitors get their first base runner. F1 (RHP) goes from the stretch for the first time in the game. With pivot foot on pitchers plate and the ball in his right hand behind his back, he is looking in for the sign. While doing this his glove hand is hanging down freely moving with a very slight, slow pendulum movement (probably 3 inches each way). HP cries "BALK". He tells F1 the pendulum motion was not allowed. Ball goes live again. "BALK" again. Same explanation. Coach tells F1 "If he's gonna call it you have to stop doing it! F1 complies. Game continues without incident.,
2 or 3 parents start heading my way asking me to explain the call. I am usually very hesitant to criticize one of my brethren in blue so I say something like "I guess he felt the movement constituted some sort of feint or something. It's a judgement call", but in the back of my mind I'm thinking "There's no way on earth I would call that a balk."

So my question is, would a slight pendulum motion with the free, glove hand while working from the stretch (as you look in for the sign) and before coming to the set position be considered a balk. I reread the book last night to make sure I wasn't missing something, but I just don't see it.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2016, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
I was a spectator (my son was playing) at a home varsity game yesterday. HP was a guy I had never worked with before but for the first 2 or 3 innings both he and his partner seemed to know their stuff (consistent zone, good communication with each other etc.).
Around the 3rd inning visitors get their first base runner. F1 (RHP) goes from the stretch for the first time in the game. With pivot foot on pitchers plate and the ball in his right hand behind his back, he is looking in for the sign. While doing this his glove hand is hanging down freely moving with a very slight, slow pendulum movement (probably 3 inches each way). HP cries "BALK". He tells F1 the pendulum motion was not allowed. Ball goes live again. "BALK" again. Same explanation. Coach tells F1 "If he's gonna call it you have to stop doing it! F1 complies. Game continues without incident.,
2 or 3 parents start heading my way asking me to explain the call. I am usually very hesitant to criticize one of my brethren in blue so I say something like "I guess he felt the movement constituted some sort of feint or something. It's a judgement call", but in the back of my mind I'm thinking "There's no way on earth I would call that a balk."

So my question is, would a slight pendulum motion with the free, glove hand while working from the stretch (as you look in for the sign) and before coming to the set position be considered a balk. I reread the book last night to make sure I wasn't missing something, but I just don't see it.
FED rules consider it a balk (start of motion).
Old Sun Apr 17, 2016, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

The FED case play on this only discusses the pitching hand hanging down.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2016, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
"I guess he felt the movement constituted some sort of feint or something.
You initial guess was correct.
6-2-4(a) Says, "Any (my emphasis) feinting toward the batter..."

I do agree it is a judgment call and understand that it is one you would not make. But the term ANY makes it difficult to argue with the umpire exercising his discretion.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2016, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchcoach View Post
You initial guess was correct.
6-2-4(a) Says, "Any (my emphasis) feinting toward the batter..."

I do agree it is a judgment call and understand that it is one you would not make. But the term ANY makes it difficult to argue with the umpire exercising his discretion.
If it was a feint toward the batter....which it was not.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2016, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The FED case play on this only discusses the pitching hand hanging down.
Same concept I think - starting to come set and stopping.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2016, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

I don't have my casebook with me, but as I recall the case play does say "slight" or "small", so the PU has rules backing for the call. That said, I think 2-3 inches of movement is pretty slight.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2016, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

We had a similar discussion at our meeting last night. We were discussing the "gorilla" arm. With the ball in hand, there could be intent if the arm was moving to deceive. But if the ball was in glove, we saw very little deceit there.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2016, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
We had a similar discussion at our meeting last night. We were discussing the "gorilla" arm. With the ball in hand, there could be intent if the arm was moving to deceive. But if the ball was in glove, we saw very little deceit there.
Deceit is legal if done within the rules.

FED says you can't swing the arm.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2016, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

SITUATION 2: While in the set position, F1 has his pitching hand hanging straight down in front of his body, swinging back and forth, as he gets the sign from the catcher. RULING: This is not legal and is an illegal pitch or a balk if there are runners on base. While this “gorilla” stance is legal if the pitching hand is stationary, it is illegal if the arm is swinging back and forth. (6-1-3)

Emphasis added
Old Mon Apr 18, 2016, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Where does it say anything about the glove, as in the OP?
Old Mon Apr 18, 2016, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
Where does it say anything about the glove, as in the OP?
It doesn't. But in my mind as they consider the swing as a start of the motion to get to set and as you have to bring your hands together to get to set then moving the glove is also part of starting the motion.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2016, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
It doesn't. But in my mind as they consider the swing as a start of the motion to get to set and as you have to bring your hands together to get to set then moving the glove is also part of starting the motion.
The umpire judges whether it is the start of coming set and if not it is not a balk:

"6.1.2 SITUATION D:

F1, while on the pitcher’s plate in either the windup or set position, (a) adjusts his cap or (b) shakes off the signal with his glove, or (c) shakes off the signal with his head.

RULING: In (a) through (c), these are legal actions if these movements of the arms and legs are not associated with the pitch."
Old Mon Apr 18, 2016, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

The gorilla arm is an interpretation, from 2005 I think. As long as the pitching arm is not swinging back and forth considerably it is not a balk. It is a FED interpretation.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2016, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
The umpire judges whether it is the start of coming set and if not it is not a balk:

"6.1.2 SITUATION D:

F1, while on the pitcher’s plate in either the windup or set position, (a) adjusts his cap or (b) shakes off the signal with his glove, or (c) shakes off the signal with his head.

RULING: In (a) through (c), these are legal actions if these movements of the arms and legs are not associated with the pitch."
Please read Post #10