The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 07, 2016, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

Compression Sleeves

I have a few questions that I need to help with.

NFHS Rules

Had a game last night and some of the players for the visiting team had on compression sleeve and some did not. Additionally some were blue/white/black in a digital pattern and some where pink/white/black. Players only had them on one arm.

They also had on different color stockings, one blue, one white.

Half the team was wearing their home cap, the other half wearing their away cap.

Most had on eye-black. Most had it applied normally, but some had it on and it slanted down over their cheeks in a "War Paint" fashion.

What is the ruling on compression sleeves?

Are compression sleeve allowed for players other than the pitcher and if so, what color must they be and are they required to wear two the same length?

I know 1-4-1 states that uniforms should be same color and style.
1-4-2 sleeve lengths may vary, but each individual player shall be approx the same length. Also that pitchers can wear black or solid dark color but can't find anything about other players.

What is the ruling on the eye-black?

I think I recall that in the past, this was addressed, but may be mistaken. I know its covered in other NFHS sports such as basketball and volleyball.

For the stocking and cap, I told the coach that I would allow for this game, but not in the future and I have them for 2 games this weekend.

Once I get clarification on this, I will share with our other umpires to ensure that everyone is aware so we can watch this team to mitigate future infractions of this nature.

Mark
Old Thu Apr 07, 2016, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

The compression sleeve requirements only apply to a pitcher. Camo/digital pattern would be illegal for him, as it must be solid black or solid dark color. Anyone else? Have at it. As long as it doesn't say something profane or unsportsmanlike (a sleeve saying "F U [other school name], etc) then there's nothing wrong with it. They are perfectly fine only wearing one.

And by stockings you mean socks? Socks?? Why are you worried about what color socks they wear? There are no rules regarding socks. Thankfully.

Football has a rule on eye black, requiring one single line under the eye. Other sports may have similar rules - baseball does not. Again, if not profane or unsportsmanlike, it's allowed.

The rules say a cap is required. It doesn't say which. Given that the case book and other interpretations have said that participation if at all possible is the goal - even to the extent that writing a number on a plain white T-shirt could be allowed - I can't imagine why you'd care which cap they have on. They have one - good enough for me.

I would recommend finding other hills upon which to fight.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2016, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

For non-pitchers, the compression sleeve doesn't matter. Let the rest of the stuff go.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2016, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-blue View Post
For the stocking and cap, I told the coach that I would allow for this game, but not in the future and I have them for 2 games this weekend.

Once I get clarification on this, I will share with our other umpires to ensure that everyone is aware so we can watch this team to mitigate future infractions of this nature.

Mark
As you now know, there were no infractions.

That being said, I am at a loss as to why you would bring up something of which you were unsure of the proper ruling, and compound that by stating that you would enforce it differently at a later time.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

PIAA

"The use of eye shade or eye shade tape must be worn as a short, single, solid, stroke under the eye".
Old Sun Apr 10, 2016, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for your comments Scrouge, Bob, and thumpferee.

Bob, I see your point. Best not to say anything until you are sure of the rule, then apply.

Mark
Old Sun Apr 10, 2016, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-blue View Post
Thanks for your comments Scrouge, Bob, and thumpferee.

Bob, I see your point. Best not to say anything until you are sure of the rule, then apply.

Mark
I may be wrong, but I think Bob's point was not to be overly-officious about these kinds of issues.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2016, 08:42am
Coach Paul

The war paint is really the only thing that I have handled differently and it's due to our board getting together on it and ruling for consistency. We are to have players remove the war paint smears from their cheeks and rule it as "intimidation/taunting". It looks ridiculous and it was getting more out of control each week. It was clear the eye black was not being used for its intended purpose.

"Coach, that eye black pattern is being interpreted by this board as intimidation and taunting. If your players want to continue to use eye black, it must be applied in a way consistent with its intended usage."

We have a lot more clean faces now! ;-)
Baseball Instructor / Coach
Old Mon Apr 18, 2016, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachPaul View Post
The war paint is really the only thing that I have handled differently and it's due to our board getting together on it and ruling for consistency. We are to have players remove the war paint smears from their cheeks and rule it as "intimidation/taunting". It looks ridiculous and it was getting more out of control each week. It was clear the eye black was not being used for its intended purpose.

"Coach, that eye black pattern is being interpreted by this board as intimidation and taunting. If your players want to continue to use eye black, it must be applied in a way consistent with its intended usage."

Gonna ban staring intently too?
Old Mon Apr 18, 2016, 09:55am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachPaul View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post

Rich:

My sentiments exactly. If a HC has players that are intimidated by "war paint" then he has bigger problems with his team to deal with.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Apr 18, 2016, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
In HS basketball, may earn you a "T"