The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 21, 2016, 09:52am
Official & ***** Member

Or, to put it another way:

The defense screwed up by making a bad throw. An attempt to catch that bad throw doesn't give a fielder the "right" to obstruct a runner.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2016, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachPaul View Post
Why? You can't be serious. F3 has a right to go for the ball. If the throw draws him into the runner it's incidental contact while making a baseball play. Both players doing the right thing and occupying the same space. How about you explain why F3 has no right to move to make a play on an errant throw. I'm sure we would all learn something new.
As others have confirmed, I am serious.

F3 has every right to move to make a play on an errant throw, he just can't obstruct the runner when doing so. As CT1 said, the defense screwed up and made a bad throw. You can't penalize the runner for for a defensive error.

And, you may not believe this either, he is awarded 2nd base on the obstruction!

Yes, even if he was going back to 1st.

Nothing NEW!
Old Thu Apr 21, 2016, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
In higher level ball the second time he tries it the runner may come back feet first.
RI has wandered into what happened next. F3 used his thigh to block the entire return to the bag. After having achieved a pick off. The frustrated 1b coach was over heard to tell his next runner to slide back feet first. FU warned coach if such a return did occur, he would eject coach and player. F3 continued the maneuver throughout the game but did not achieve any more pick offs.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2016, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchcoach View Post

RI has wandered into what happened next. F3 used his thigh to block the entire return to the bag. After having achieved a pick off. The frustrated 1b coach was over heard to tell his next runner to slide back feet first. FU warned coach if such a return did occur, he would eject coach and player. F3 continued the maneuver throughout the game but did not achieve any more pick offs.
I've never seen that (at least not intentionally). All who have tried this use the lower leg.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2016, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Bob:
Poor typing, I meant lower leg. Typed thigh because that what was most visible.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2016, 11:24am
Administrator

Quote:

Nowhere in the NFHS Baseball Rules will you find a rule that defines when and when not a Runner can slide feet first into a Base.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Apr 22, 2016, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

True about rule but I am certain FU saw it as a safety issue. Wanting to teach a kid a lesson would not justify harming him. It would have been real easy to break F3's ankle. It would also be morally repugnant and unethical.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2016, 04:38pm
Administrator

Quote:
True about rule but I am certain FU saw it as a safety issue. Wanting to teach a kid a lesson would not justify harming him. It would have been real easy to break F3's ankle. It would also be morally repugnant and unethical.

Coach:

Your bucket of reasons for penalizing R1 is leaking worse than the Titantic. If R1 effects a legal slide and during such a legal slide makes contact with F3, there is no infraction of the rules, even if F3 is injured. Stop trying to enforce a rule that does not exist.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Apr 23, 2016, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

the slide has to be legal.

That means butt cheek and one leg on the ground. I cant envision a case where the slide is legal but still rises in my judgment to malicious contact. I guess there could be a case when you judge intent to harm even when the slide is legal.
Old Sat Apr 23, 2016, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5396 View Post

That means butt cheek and one leg on the ground. I cant envision a case where the slide is legal but still rises in my judgment to malicious contact. I guess there could be a case when you judge intent to harm even when the slide is legal.
Go for it. Let me know how that goes for you.
Old Sun Apr 24, 2016, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5396 View Post

Fairly easy to envision such a case....an otherwise legal slide coming in spikes high could easily be MC.
Old Sun Apr 24, 2016, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
Fairly easy to envision such a case....an otherwise legal slide coming in spikes high could easily be MC.
No need for high spikes - F3's leg is on the ground.