The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Cal Ripken State Tourny, OBR. No outs, R1. BR hits a soft grounder between F5 and F6. F5 fields the ball and throws to F4 at 2B for the easy force. But the throw is terrible, on the 1B side of the bag. F4 in trying to stretch for the throw falls on the ground, off of 2B but catches the ball. As F4 tries to reach around for the base or tag his legs come up and trips R1 about a foot short of the base. F4 then applies the tag on R1. I called OBS, runner safe, because it appeared to me that F4's trip of R1 was deliberate. But now I wonder, in a similiar situation without the deliberate action would that be OBS or just a train wreck?
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

if hes got the ball hes supposed to be trying to keep the guy from the base so I don't think you have OBS here (unless of course it seems intentional like in your case). OBS on a player with the ball seems an unlikely call in any situation.
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

I agree

When a fielder has the ball, I think it can only be obstruction if it's intentional.

-Jeremiah
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dddunn3d
Cal Ripken State Tourny, OBR. No outs, R1. BR hits a soft grounder between F5 and F6. F5 fields the ball and throws to F4 at 2B for the easy force. But the throw is terrible, on the 1B side of the bag. F4 in trying to stretch for the throw falls on the ground, off of 2B but catches the ball. As F4 tries to reach around for the base or tag his legs come up and trips R1 about a foot short of the base. F4 then applies the tag on R1. I called OBS, runner safe, because it appeared to me that F4's trip of R1 was deliberate. But now I wonder, in a similiar situation without the deliberate action would that be OBS or just a train wreck?
Train wreck unless deliberate.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

A player with the ball CANNOT be guilty of obstruction, by definition:

From 2.00, in part:
OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner

He can however, be guilty of unsportsmanlike conduct. If this was deliberate, award the runner 2B and send F4 home for the day.