The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Alternate Official

I was watching the state championships for California this weekend and saw an interesting situation. In the 2nd quarter of the game, there was a block/charge call where the T and C (3 person) had a double whistle. They came together and decided to call a block against team B. The team B bench went nuts because they thought their player had excellent guarding position (I did too, but that's not the point...).

The official reports the foul and they prepare to shoot 2 free throws. Then the officials come together again and return to the scorers table to let them know that the basket counted. Problem is, the ball never went in. There was an alternate official at the table next to the scorer and he was aware (or so I hear) that the ball did not go in.

The lesson learned here is that if you have an alternate official, use him to your advantage. You are actually allowed to ask him/her whether the ball went in or not (just as you could ask the score keeper). Obviously, it would have been better if the officials got this one right on their own, but even so - if you have an alternate and need him, use him.

Oh, BTW, the game ended up going into overtime and the team that got the extra bucket won the game...
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

I think the other lesson is that the alternate can & should speak up. Definately a good pre-game topic for any games at which you have an official sitting at the table.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 08:20am
M.A.S.H.

It'd be a good question as to why they didn't speak with the official scorer or the alternate official.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBroncos
I was watching the state championships for California this weekend and saw an interesting situation. In the 2nd quarter of the game, there was a block/charge call where the T and C (3 person) had a double whistle. They came together and decided to call a block against team B. The team B bench went nuts because they thought their player had excellent guarding position (I did too, but that's not the point...).

The official reports the foul and they prepare to shoot 2 free throws. Then the officials come together again and return to the scorers table to let them know that the basket counted. Problem is, the ball never went in. There was an alternate official at the table next to the scorer and he was aware (or so I hear) that the ball did not go in.

The lesson learned here is that if you have an alternate official, use him to your advantage. You are actually allowed to ask him/her whether the ball went in or not (just as you could ask the score keeper). Obviously, it would have been better if the officials got this one right on their own, but even so - if you have an alternate and need him, use him.

Oh, BTW, the game ended up going into overtime and the team that got the extra bucket won the game...
Was it a boys or girls game and who was playing? Just Curious...
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

The game was the boys D2 State Championship. Mater Dei defeated Archbishop Mitty in OT.

I also agree that the alternate (or scorekeeper) should have called the R over to discuss the situation if they had difinitive knowledge that the bucket didn't go.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Looks like primaries were not being looked at. where did the player originate from?
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

I'm shocked, SHOCKED I say that no one has exposed the obvious reason that this kicked call occurred:

Taylor King plays for Mater Dei. Taylor King is a Duke committ. It's obvious Krzyzewski's deep pockets know no bounds - including California high school.

Duke gets all the calls.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 01:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBroncos
In the 2nd quarter of the game....
One had nothing to do with the other.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
One had nothing to do with the other.
Oh, I totally agree that this did not cause the game to go into OT (Mitty missing 15 of 29 free throws did...) but it is definitely is something that needs to be avoided - especially at this high of a level of competition.

...and yes...King was the player driving to the basket that "got" the call...
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

The game will be reshown on Fox Sports Bay Area on Tuesday March 27 @ noon PST.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 03:47pm

Unbelievable, would have to see it to believe it! Three officials and nobody had definite knowledge in a game like that, if the ball went in. Unbelievable! Then to make matters worse, they reason that it did. They should have went jump ball on the block charge, and give both of them a foul. I think it's NCAA Women's that rules different from this being a jump or AP.

Last edited by Old School; Mon Mar 26, 2007 at 04:29pm.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 04:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Unbelievable, would have to see it to believe it! Three officials and nobody had defiant knowledge in a game like that, if the ball went in. Unbelievable! Then to make matters worse, they reason that it did. They should have went jump ball on the block charge, and give both of them a foul. I think it's NCAA Women's that rules different from this being a jump or AP.
Only if it was a blarge. This was only a double whistle. Read the OP again.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unbelievable, would have to see it to believe it! Three officials and nobody had defiant knowledge in a game like that, if the ball went in. Unbelievable! Then to make matters worse, they reason that it did. They should have went jump ball on the block charge, and give both of them a foul. I think it's NCAA Women's that rules different from this being a jump or AP.
You are the only one who displays "defiant" knowledge, in fact, your rules knowledge defies all logic. The rest of us seek definite knowledge on the court.

Furthermore, once again you demonstrate your ignorance of the rules. Under NFHS rules a double foul goes to the POI. It is not an automatic AP situation.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 04:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
You are the only one who displays "defiant" knowledge, in fact, your rules knowledge defies all logic. The rest of us seek definite knowledge on the court.

Furthermore, once again you demonstrate your ignorance of the rules. Under NFHS rules a double foul goes to the POI. It is not an automatic AP situation.
Hold the phone! Who's got possession? If I got a block charge, who gets possession? I believe that be AP?
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hold the phone! Who's got possession? If I got a block charge, who gets possession? I believe that be AP?
You are assuming that the try was released before the contact. That is not always the case. In fact, it is probably only the case about 25% of the time.

So you would be wrong about 75% of the time as Team A would still have team control at the time of the double foul.