View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBroncos
I was watching the state championships for California this weekend and saw an interesting situation. In the 2nd quarter of the game, there was a block/charge call where the T and C (3 person) had a double whistle. They came together and decided to call a block against team B. The team B bench went nuts because they thought their player had excellent guarding position (I did too, but that's not the point...).

The official reports the foul and they prepare to shoot 2 free throws. Then the officials come together again and return to the scorers table to let them know that the basket counted. Problem is, the ball never went in. There was an alternate official at the table next to the scorer and he was aware (or so I hear) that the ball did not go in.

The lesson learned here is that if you have an alternate official, use him to your advantage. You are actually allowed to ask him/her whether the ball went in or not (just as you could ask the score keeper). Obviously, it would have been better if the officials got this one right on their own, but even so - if you have an alternate and need him, use him.

Oh, BTW, the game ended up going into overtime and the team that got the extra bucket won the game...
Was it a boys or girls game and who was playing? Just Curious...