Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 04:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Complex Question Fallacy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
We knew what he meant based on the title and the 2nd scenario.
Does "we" include everybody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
The OP's situation described the player shooting at his "own basket," which would be a try.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 11:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Does "we" include everybody?
Whether one, or two, people misread a post doesn't detract from its clarity. Obviously, the OP used incorrect terminology, but looking at the OP now, it's also clear what was meant. Also, given that we know many think of "own goal" as scoring for the other team (even FIBA labels the baskets that way in basketball), and the fact that most of us here know this, it's important to read the substance of a post instead of just the headlines.

Let it go.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
These questions can't be answered (the way the original poster intended the situation to be) until the original poster cleans up his language in regard to whose basket is really being shot at. Otherwise, we will confuse ourselves to death trying to answer the questions. We can try to figure out what he really meant, but we're not mind readers.
I agree, until this author clarifies his theoretical scenario, then some Respondents may go as far positing the extremes: "allowing a play-on" or declaring a "travel" violation.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Whether one, or two, people misread a post doesn't detract from its clarity. Obviously, the OP used incorrect terminology, but looking at the OP now, it's also clear what was meant. Also, given that we know many think of "own goal" as scoring for the other team (even FIBA labels the baskets that way in basketball), and the fact that most of us here know this, it's important to read the substance of a post instead of just the headlines.

Let it go.
Also, did anyone notice in the three pages worth of responses that none of them has come from the person who posted the plays? My guess is (s)he got frustrated with three pages worth of nitpicking over the terminology and gave up.

I get it. We need to use correct terminology. However it would've been easy enough to just answer the question as it was meant given the title of the thread is Shooting at the wrong basket case plays then say, "by the way..."
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Oct 01, 2014, 06:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

Collars And Cuffs ...

Quote:
... it's also clear what was meant.
Agree, but still believe that "clear" is a very strong word, especially when it could have been much clearer if the title matched the actual post. Note that I chose not to answer the post. I didn't want to post answers based on what was "meant" rather than what was posted, and then have astute Forum members tell me that I was wrong (as Kansas Ref alluded to above) because a player can be in the act of shooting at his own basket (see bballref3966's post above). To me, it just wasn't worth getting involved with the confusion. And by confusion, I am not talking about the original post (although I believe that the wording of the title combined with the actual post could be construed to be confusing), rather, I'm talking about the followup answers.

Quote:
... it's important to read the substance of a post instead of just the headlines.
Actually, in this case, the headline (title) had more substance, and clarity, than the actual post.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 01, 2014 at 06:20am.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2014, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You mean like relabeling time-outs as an "extended stoppage of play"?

Who would do that?
I'm probably missing the point of your post ... I wouldn't relabel anything.

I'm just saying that it was clear to me if you read the whole post that
1) The OP was confused with the use of "own goal" in NFHS (and other) rules
2) The OP was asking about a situations involving shooting at the wrong goal
Old Wed Oct 01, 2014, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Two points from beyond the arch

1) Since this was posted in a basketball forum and not a language arts forum it seems odd that so much of this discussion has centered on how the OP was written rather than answering the questions intended by the OP, which if not "crystal" clear was at least "reasonably" clear enough based on simple context clues for us to have a basketball discussion.

2) If it really bothered some posters that much, why hasn't someone edited it for Afrosheen so that it would be 100% clear what was being asked and we could focus on basketball. I see posts all the time that say "there, I edited it for you" so maybe someone could do that.
Old Thu Oct 02, 2014, 06:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

Go Ahead And Edit Away ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
... if not "crystal" clear was at least "reasonably" clear ... edited it for Afrosheen so that it would be 100% clear what was being asked.
Agree 100%, and good idea.