The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Ball hits player already out of bounds

Played in a pick-up game last night. On a rebound, the ball got deflected and hit a player (A1) already out of bounds. The ball didn't bounce out of bounds first - it hit him in the air.

I know this is out of bounds off A1. But, there was an argument, and I promised to send the rule reference / case to back me up.

Could someone please provide? Thanks!
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 12:27pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
Played in a pick-up game last night. On a rebound, the ball got deflected and hit a player (A1) already out of bounds. The ball didn't bounce out of bounds first - it hit him in the air.

I know this is out of bounds off A1. But, there was an argument, and I promised to send the rule reference / case to back me up.

Could someone please provide? Thanks!
An official arguing with a player? So it ain't so

RULE 7 OUT OF BOUNDS AND THE THROW-IN
Section 1 Out-of-Bounds - Player, Ball
ART.2...The ball is out of bounds when it touches:
a.) A player who is out of bounds.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my rule book handy, but tell them that the ball isn't out of bounds until it hits something out of bounds, whether that be the floor, the wall, bleachers, etc. If it hits a player while they're standing out of bounds, they are the last one to touch it when it went out of bounds.

Who are these clowns you're arguing with?
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Just a bunch of knuckleheads that believe all the old wives' tales.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Here is the complete set of relevant rules.

RULE 7 OUT OF BOUNDS AND THROW-IN
SECTION 1 OUT-OF-BOUNDS - PLAYER, BALL
ART. 1 . . . A player is out of bounds when he or she touches the floor, or any object other than a player, on or outside a boundary. For location of a player in the air, see 4-35.
ART. 2 . . . The ball is out of bounds when it touches:
a. A player who is out of bounds.

SECTION 2 CAUSING THE BALL TO GO OUT OF BOUNDS
ART. 1 . . . The ball is caused to go out of bounds by the last player to touch or to be touched by it, before it goes out, provided it is out of bounds because of touching something other than a player.
ART. 2 . . . If the ball is out of bounds because of touching or being touched by a player who is on or outside a boundary line, such player causes it to go out.

RULE 9 VIOLATIONS
SECTION 3 OUT OF BOUNDS
A player shall not cause the ball to go out of bounds.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
An official arguing with a player? So it ain't so

RULE 7 OUT OF BOUNDS AND THE THROW-IN
Section 1 Out-of-Bounds - Player, Ball
ART.2...The ball is out of bounds when it touches:
a.) A player who is out of bounds.
I bet the argument was not that it wasn't OOB but about who caused it to be OOB...the person who threw it off something (a player) that was OOB or the player who was OOB.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I bet the argument was not that it wasn't OOB but about who caused it to be OOB...the person who threw it off something (a player) that was OOB or the player who was OOB.
That was exactly the argument. Tipped off someone jumping for a rebound, and it landed on a guy already out of bounds. "Couldn't have been off him, he was already out of bounds!".
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 01:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I'm lucky, I play pick up ball 1-2 times a week here on base. One of the other regulars is one of my mentors and he's a D1 official. Our group of players has learned to not even to argue on rules anymore. Now if I can just convince the fellas that it's not "boxing out" when you use your back and a$$ to push someone 5 feet from the basket during a rebound, especially when the person you're pushing is airborne.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm lucky, I play pick up ball 1-2 times a week here on base. One of the other regulars is one of my mentors and he's a D1 official. Our group of players has learned to not even to argue on rules anymore. Now if I can just convince the fellas that it's not "boxing out" when you use your back and a$$ to push someone 5 feet from the basket during a rebound, especially when the person you're pushing is airborne.
I also play in the offseason and had a situation yesterday most of you'll all laugh at. Most people in the gym simply accept what I say as gold...but there is one guy that thinks he's God's gift to basketball....

A3 gets an offensive rebound at the FT line and turns to the top to pass the ball to his teammate. His teammate has one foot in the backcourt (specifically...toes at/on the line with the heel completely in the backcourt). He dribbled forward and passed to a teammate who shot.... (no one on the court said anything)

I was watching that game (not saying anything) and another guy who was also watching said to me "That's over-and-back isn't it?" I confirmed. He said to the player, "we'll let you slide on that one".

After a couple of basic words back and forth between them, this guy claims that he knows it is OK to have one foot on the line in HS rules because he "used to ref".

I respond with "How sure are you of that? I'll put money down that it is illegal in every US based rule set. How much? $20? $50? $100?..." I can't remember how high I got but it was in the hundreds I was about to even give him 2:1 odds, but he was curiously silent....he didn't seem so sure any more. I was hoping to make a few bucks but he wouldn't bite.

He does this a time or two a year...I've even sent him copies of NBA, NCAA, and HS rules on certain topics, he never replies. :|

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Sep 25, 2009 at 01:43pm.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 02:26pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
That was exactly the argument. Tipped off someone jumping for a rebound, and it landed on a guy already out of bounds. "Couldn't have been off him, he was already out of bounds!".
You sure the dolt who said this isn't actually a HS coach????
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 02:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
You sure the dolt who said this isn't actually a HS coach????
Hmmm. It's preseason, he's a basketball coach. Might be one of his players or assistant coaches?
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tell them that they are not playing rugby. I know, some wreck league might be confused with it, but you can always look at the ball.

In rugby, if a player out of bounds touches the ball, the last player touching it on the field has caused the ball to go OOB. The rule about being OOB is similar.

Ciao
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 06:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Can You Hear Barbra Singing In The Background ???

Quote:
Played in a pick-up game last night. On a rebound, the ball got deflected and hit a player, A1, already out of bounds. The ball didn't bounce out of bounds first, it hit him in the air. I know this is out of bounds off A1. But, there was an argument, and I promised to send the rule reference to back me up.
Whoever argued that the ball should go to the team who last touched it before it hit A1 must be very old. About thirty years ago, when a ball was thrown such that the ball hit a player who was out of bounds, it was ruled to be out of bounds off the team that threw the ball, because they caused it to go out of bounds.

Really.

Maybe Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will kindly make a trip up to his attic library to confirm this for us. He might be the only Forum member old enough to remember this rule, since, as far as I know, dirt is not a Forum member.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Sep 26, 2009, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

A1 inbounding the ball, B1 on defense, on court, blocks the ball back onto A1 who is still out of bounds. A team ball. Almost the same scenario.
cheers
Old Sat Sep 26, 2009, 02:57am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK View Post
A1 inbounding the ball, B1 on defense, on court, blocks the ball back onto A1 who is still out of bounds. A team ball. Almost the same scenario.
cheers
Are you saying it would be A's ball?

Think again.

Lonesome Dove